Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Half-Assed NaBloWriMo Day 3

Day 03 - Your views on drugs and alcohol.

Hmm, interesting question.

As far as alcohol goes, I don't see anything wrong with the current system. If anything, I think it should be more lenient, at least in Ontario. Going to the LCBO or Beer Store for your beer or liquor is annoying. I'd rather we moved to a system like the USA, where you can buy alcohol in grocery and corner stores. However, I don't really care all that much. There is rarely a time after 9pm that I want to purchase alcohol so it doesn't bother me.

When I was younger, I probably would have said the age limit should be reduced to 18 but now I think it should be 21. At 18 and 19, you're still a kid and probably a kid not equipped to make the same decisions while drunk that a 21 year old could. I think having a little more time to mature before you're legal to get drunk is a better idea. Not only that, but your brain is still developing in your late teens. Adding alcohol to a growing brain just doesn't sit well with me. However, most kids drink underage anyway and most turn out fine so I guess it doesn't really matter.

With drugs, I don't really care because I don't do any. I definitely believe hard drugs should stay illegal, though. Marijuana is such a regular part of our culture now, I don't really see the point in keeping it illegal. I think it should be controlled and taxed the way cigarette and alcohol are, and be worked into our laws regarding impaired driving and whatnot so that people who drive stoned can be more easily prosecuted. There are roadside tests now that can detect marijuana on your breath so the laws could at least be enforced with more regularity.

In my opinion, it's hard to be anti-marijuana without being anti-alcohol too. They seem to be equally harmful/harmless on your body and both cause similar intensities of intoxication. How can one say it's okay to want to get a little drunk after a bad day but it's not okay to want to smoke a joint for the same reason? Why should it be okay to make yourself intoxicated with one thing but not another? It doesn't really make sense to me.

In case you're wondering, no I do not smoke marijuana. The reason I have an opinion about it is I've spent considerable time thinking about it. The idea of breaking the law doesn't jive with me and knowing so many of my friends smoke weed and feeling lowered levels of respect for them, I started asking myself why it's okay that I want to get drunk sometimes but they can't get stoned?

In the end, I still don't really respect potheads but only because it is against the law and that's the final verdict at this point in time.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this, It's even been proven that pot is less dangerous then alcohol, and I mean, we're already curing diseases with pot...what has alcohol done for us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cousin that had a problem with drinking and drugs. I would take him stoned anyday over when he was drunk. He was a wretched excuse for a human when he was drinking. Thankfully he has dried out and been sober for years now.
    I am not sure on the legalization of pot but probably not for conventional reasons. I seen a bit on the news were they asked teenagers about the ease of getting alcohol and pot. They all said it was much easier to get pot, you get proofed trying to buy beer. Now if pot is legal and also difficult to get will they start with the hardcore stuff that they can still get at the corner dealer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend smokes pot and it bothers me, but if it was legal it probably wouldn't bother me at all. (Well, it would still a little just because I think it's gross lol, but I wouldn't have a moral issue with it.)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...