Saturday, November 13, 2010

Half-Assed NaBloWriMo Day 13

Ugh, it's been a long day and I don't feel like doing this but I guess I will because I have to.

I went out looking for a geocache today that was along the river. The river here in Sarnia is all manicured and made into parks, so most of the rocks along the shore have been shaped by machinery and placed there. They're pretty easy to climb on but there is some danger involved obviously. So I was out on the rocks and my foot slipped on a wet rock and my (strained!) knee hit a rock (insult to injury, it still hurts) and I have a scrape going from my calf down to my ankle, where the inside ankle bone banged against a rock before landing in the water, which is luckily only ankle deep. Suffice it to say, I was pretty irritated. My ankle is in pain and the cuts are stinging. I just have no luck geocaching. My whole right leg is one mess of geocaching accidents. Strained knee and now a sore ankle. I think I'm going to take it easy for awhile. I feel like the universe really does not want me to geocache!

Day 13 - Somewhere you’d like to move or visit.

A few years ago, I decided that I absolutely must visit Tristan da Cunha. It's a very, very small island in the middle of the south Atlantic Ocean. I first heard of Tristan I think on Digg.com. There was a headline like, "Most Isolated, Inhabited Place in the World!!" which peaked my interest, being a Nunavummiuq and all.

Tristan da Cunha is home to fewer than 300 people, who all share 8 surnames (the 8th is a recent addition). All the residents (except I believe the person who contributed the 8th surname) are descendants of the original garrison of British Marines from the 1800s. Outsiders are not allowed to move to Tristan but they are allowed to visit. I am dying, dying to visit this place. You want a simple way of life? There isn't any simpler than Tristan da Cunha. TV arrived in 2001 and they get one channel (and it's a government broadcast from the Falkland Islands). Internet arrived some time later, I can't find the exact year.

I guess you could say I'm obsessed with old-timey things and the idea that an old-fashioned way of life still exists. Anything to do with pioneers, the Amish, uncontacted human tribes and the like really interest me. Life on Tristan da Cunha would be very much like going back several decades in the respect that everybody farms, there's one doctor in town, TV is presumably not watched and unimportant. However, I can't say I envy their mail system (they have to wait for ships from Africa to pass by).

I really hope I have all my facts right here, I used to hate reading stuff about Nunavut by people who have never visited and just cringed in agony at what I was reading.

If you're like me and think Tristan da Cunha is pretty darn interesting, you can read more here:
The Tristan da Cunha Website (tons of information)
The Tristan Times online newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...