Monday, November 15, 2010

Half-Assed NaBloWriMo Day 15

There are times when I really like living with my dad, and yesterday and today have been two such days. My dad doesn't drive and generally only patrons the same few stores (the convenience store by our apartment, the closest grocery store, and the closest liquor store).

I really enjoy when I can help my dad with something and since I've been back, I've been able to help him with quite a bit, which pleases me.

Often, my dad will say something like, "Jaime, I need ________" and it's usually something harder to find. Once it was "Jaime, what I need is a tiny spray bottle. Something I can put Windex in and pop in my pocket so I can clean my glasses when I'm out somewhere." As I always do, I said, "No problem, leave it to me," and usually within a day, I have what he's looking for.

About a month or so ago, my dad says, "Jaime, I have a shopping list of things I want to buy. Sears is doing their Sears' Days thing so let's go there this week." It turned out he wanted some towels and a bunch of bed stuff. I brought him to Winners to buy the towels and some other odds and ends. I don't think he'd ever been in a Winners before, he was picking stuff off the shelves like he was a kid in a giant candy store.

Anyway, yesterday I woke up and my dad was telling me about a gift he wants to buy for my grandfather. I'm not sure if my grandpa ever reads my blog so I'm not going to mention what it was or how much it costs, just the general idea. So my dad tells me he found the item in Canada for $x, and in the USA for approximately half the price. Both prices were highway robbery for the item, so I told him he should look for it on a certain online auction website. Never having used that website, my dad was a bit leery so I quickly piped up that I'd look for it myself, since I've bought several things from that site. I grabbed my laptop and within a minute, found the item for one-third of the price he'd found it in Canada (62% of the American price). It included free shipping and was from a reputable seller. 10 minutes later, we had the item ordered, and 3 hours later the item had shipped. My dad is excited to give it to my grandpa as he knows how much he wants this item.

Today after I woke up, my dad came home and thanked me for finding the item so cheaply and that I've been earning my keep with helpfulness. Somehow we got on the topic of another item my grandfather has been really wanting, a Danish liquor called Akvavit made by a company in Denmark called Aalborg. My dad first asked me to find it in the summer but a thorough search turned up nothing helpful on the Internet. My dad told me my grandpa had been trying to find Aalborg Akvavit for 5-6 years and they'd even put in calls and letters to Aalborg, trying to find out how to get it. Aalborg told them they don't export to Canada anymore.

Back in the summer, I had done an inventory search on the LCBO's website. I had searched "aalborg" and "akvavit" which turned up nothing in Ontario. Today, for S&Gs, I searched it again. Lo and behold, the liquor store near our apartment was selling it! My dad, much like me, and by that I mean he likes to do things right now without waiting, said, "What?! Let's go there right now!" We got in the car and the whole way, my dad told me not to get my hopes up, that website's full of crap, Aalborg doesn't sell to Canada anymore, he refused to believe it until he sees it himself.

I'm sure you can guess what happened. They had it. 13 bottles of it, no less. I found it while my dad was still searching the aisles. "DAD!" I called out and held the bottle up as he walked toward me. I don't think he believed me until he grabbed the bottle from me, saw the proper logo, and started laughing. "Holyyyy shit! How many of these they got?" We walked out with 6 and drove to my grandpa's place. Unfortunately he wasn't home so we had to come back later. When we did, my dad hid 2 bottles in his coat and I started on a story to my grandpa about how we'd brought him some chardonnay (I don't think my grandpa cares for chardonnay, we were trying to trick him). My dad whips the bottles out of his jacket, hands them to my grandpa, who bursts out laughing. He couldn't believe it. We went out for a nice supper after. It was a great day.

My dad watched The Shawshank Redemption last night after I persistently urged him to (he'd never seen it) so now I am referring to myself as "the girl who knows how to get things." A fitting title, in my opinion.

Day 15 - Your favorite tumblrs.

I only read 2:
Catalog Living (very funny) and,
Eye on Springfield (for those of us who love The Simpsons only seasons 1-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...