Tuesday, November 3, 2015

NaBloPoMo Day 3: Hobbies

Hobbies! Hobbies are basically what run my life and most of my thoughts. Sometimes I wish I dedicated more mental space to social issues, charity, or somehow bettering the world.

For a long time, I was the type of person who didn't have any hobbies, and now I probably have too many!

Running: I've already written about running so I'm not going to write about it again. I try to run at least once a week, preferably more. Since I'm training for a long race now, I will be running about 3-4 times a week starting soon.


Curling: I started curling in Iqaluit in 2009 and I'm still keeping at it, although I am curling less this year as this autumn has been so busy and I needed a bit of a break. When I am curling, it's once a week.

Hockey: I started in 2013 and I love it, although I am finding it hard to improve given there are precious few classes for adults, especially where I live. I play twice a week.


Sewing/quilting: I'm going to write more about it tomorrow, but sewing is the main thing I find hard to balance with everything else. On average I sit down at my machine once or twice a month, but I'd ideally like to increase that to once or twice a week.

I also go to a quilter's guild once a month and it's a meeting where we talk about all things quilting.

Hand embroidery: I love doing hand embroidery but I never seem to dedicate enough time to it. It's a time consuming craft and no matter how much my brain seems to burst with ideas, I don't often to sit down and work on it. I'd say I do one or two small hand embroidery projects a year.


Baking/cake decorating: I've always loved to bake goodies. I don't get too fancy, but I love making squares, cakes, truffles and cookies. In 2012, I took three of the Wilton classes (which I blogged about). I loved doing the classes although they were a lot of work! I never planned to decorate cakes regularly or professionally, I just like having the skills tucked away for when I do need them. I'd say I bake maybe once or twice a month, but sometimes more.

So as you can see, I keep pretty busy. All of this is on top of working full-time, doing normal adult things like cooking, errands, regular orthodontist appointments, and making time to go out of town 2-3 weekends a month to see Anthony. It's a busy life. I used to watch movies and hang out with friends when I was younger, but I don't really do that anymore because I don't have time. I also used to be involved in community theatre but I've more or less given up on that due to time restraints as well.

I love having so many hobbies but I find myself often feeling guilty that I can't dedicate more time to each of them. Both running and sewing take up a considerable amount of time and for me, aren't just as easy as jumping out the door for a quick run, or turning on the sewing machine and sewing. Running requires 15-20 minutes of prep time because I have to take my inhaler, and then I need to shower when I get home. My desk is also my sewing table so I have to set everything up if I want to do any bit of sewing. Generally if I'm doing a lot of sewing, I'm not doing much running, and vice versa.

It is frustrating feeling guilty so much of the time about these things, and certainly I didn't take up hobbies just to have negative feelings about it. I'll be writing more about it on the 6th but I think I am turning a corner in spending my time at home more efficiently. Easier said than done, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...