Wednesday, November 11, 2015

NaBloPoMo Day 11: 5 months post-op double jaw surgery + sliding genioplasty

Today is 5 months since my surgery so I'm doing my monthly update.

Numbness: My palate has really improved this month. Right behind my front teeth and the left side just above my teeth feel numb, but everything else is good.

The fleshy part of my chin is still about 90% numb. At this point, I kind of doubt it's ever going to go back to normal, but such is par for the course with sliding genioplasty. I imagine it'll improve a bit but probably not completely. I'm okay with this. I barely ever notice it, and I've gotten used to constantly feeling my chin for food/drinks/drool when I'm eating in front of others. It does feel weird wearing my hockey mask because I'm still not used to my chin actually sitting in the little chin pad thing!

My chin muscles still feel very tight, too. This part does bug me a bit and I hope it improves.

Swelling: Today I feel like I look a little swollen, but I spent a lot of time with my face pointing downwards so who knows. It's still slowly coming along. The photos below were taken the other day, FYI.

Chewing: Progress with chewing has slowed down, but it's still improving. Small bites of food are the only thing I can manage, but I can make it through ham, sausage or chicken now, as long as it's thinly sliced. Biting into things is getting better but it's still much easier to just cut everything with a knife and fork, especially since my jaw ROM is still limited to about two finger-widths.

Bite issues: My left side is still open. The "Cathy" elastics didn't do much as far as I could tell. However, when I last saw my ortho, he said my overjet was relapsing so I'm in class II triangular elastics now. They are fun fun fun (note the sarcasm)! The nice thing about the elastics is that they are correcting my midline right now as well, which you'll know has been an issue these past 5 months.

My ortho doesn't seem to be too concerned that my bite still isn't right 5 months after surgery but I am getting frustrated. I'd like to feel like I'm actually getting closer to a debracing date instead of just treading water.

Anyway...overall I'm still happy. I still think about my jaw a lot during the day but it's getting easier to not be so focused on it.

Photos:







Pre-surgery, I'm even wearing the same sweater!




Pre-surgery




Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...