Thursday, November 19, 2015

NaBloPoMo Day 19: Places I Want to Visit

I've been fortunate in that I've already been able to travel, although the only time I've ever left continental North America was Hawaii in 2011, and Hawaii is still politically North American.

As far as countries are concerned, I've only been to Canada, the USA, and Mexico. I realize a literal world of wonders awaits me in other countries, but it has been very important to me to see Canada before I start venturing outside the country and continent. Why, you wonder? Well, for starters I am a proud Canadian and I love every corner of our country that I've been able to see so far. Secondly, Canada is so large, with so much to offer in every province and territory. Canadians are fiercely proud of their Canadian heritage, no matter whether they're from the mountains of BC, the tundra of Nunavut, to the fishing villages of Newfoundland. We are all part of something amazing and I like seeing how the culture of Canada plays out in every place I visit.

Next year I'll be turning 30 and I am planning to visit the Yukon, the last place I need to see before I've seen every province and territory in Canada. I wanted to visit them all by the time I was 30 but in reality, I will have visited everything between 2007 and 2016. Not bad.

This is my current "places travelled" map:


Once Anthony and I visit the Yukon next year, I'm going to start setting my sights on more faraway places. Here is a list of places I'd like to see before I die:

1. Tristan da Cunha. This is #1 on my bucket list.



I first learned about Tristan da Cunha in about 2009, from an article called "World's Most Remote Inhabited Place." I've always been fascinated with remote, isolated places and this is pretty much as remote as you can get. The Daily Mail wrote an interesting article about Tristan da Cunha which you can read here. Tristan is neat because people are not allowed to move there. There are just eight surnames on the island. The eighth surname is a new addition as of 2010 when a resident of Tristan married someone from the UK and they settled in Tristan. Everybody else is descended from the 15 original settlers.

2. Maldives. I found the Maldives one day in an atlas when I was a kid. Now that right there is a sentence you'll probably never hear from someone younger than me, as atlases are more or less obsolete! But anyway, as I mentioned above, I've always been fascinated by remote places and the Maldives seemed very interesting. I also had read that bananas were their main export and well, who doesn't love bananas?!

Male, the capital of the Maldives. Photo source

3. Antarctica. I figure since I've been so far north, I should go very far south. 

4. Spain. Ever since I saw the movie Morvern Callar (one of my favourites), I've wanted to go to Spain.

Photo source

I have less to say about these ones: 

5. Hong Kong

6. South Africa

7. Australia

8. Alaska (Anthony and I plan to go when we visit the Yukon)

9. Los Angeles

10. New York City

11. Norway

12. The UK (my heritage is mainly English/Scottish so I would love to see my homeland)

13. Mexico City


I think I should be able to knock out at least some of those before I die, at least the US destinations at bare minimum!

What about you? Where do you want to go?

1 comment:

  1. Australia, Alaska, New York City, a lot of Europe, Bali (again! It was awesome), Tahiti, Bahamas, Yukon. So much so see and explore!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...