Saturday, August 21, 2010

30 Day Meme: Day 8

Still sitting here in Tori's living room in Toronto. Tomorrow she, her boyfriend, and I are headed to the Canadian National Exhibition ("the Ex"). I haven't been in about 10 years so I'm really looking forward to it! We used to go every year when I was a kid but after I got a little older, I stopped going for the yearly end-of-summer visit to Brampton with my mom to see my grandma.

What I really, really want is a beaver tail. I haven't had one also in 10 years, although my last one was at Navy Pier in Chicago. You'd think I'd already hit my cinnamon and sugar capacity with the Mrs. Fields cookies (om nom nom) but no. I want more. I will report on my success after tomorrow.

But for now, onto the meme.

Day 08 – A moment, in great detail

I was really trying hard to think of a good moment. In fact, I'm still thinking right now. I think I will go with my most embarrassing moment of all time. However, the story doesn't bother me so much anytime as the shame and humiliation have faded with time and this is now just a distant memory.

When I turned 11, I received a pink button-up blouse for my birthday. It was quite cute, really. It was cotton candy ribbed material with a white collar and white buttons. I really liked it, except the fabric was so thick that the thin buttons constantly unbuttoned.

As a preteen in my neighbourhood, it was popular to attend what we called Optimist Dances, held by the local Optimist Club. That summer I attended a dance dressed in the pink blouse. At that age, I wasn't wearing bras yet so all I had on my upper body was the pink blouse.

At some point during the night, I remember I was at the back of the dance hall, walking forward to the dance floor. It was a slow song, which was a big deal in those days, as it meant you got to touch a boy's shoulders and he would touch your sides while you danced 2 feet apart, haha.

As I was walking onto the dance floor, I noticed people giving me funny looks. I've always been self-conscious of people staring at me so I wanted to dismiss them, but there was something different about how people were looking at me. Nervously, I looked down at my blouse and saw. Every last one of the buttons had undone and my shirt was hanging open for all to see. For some stupid reason, I hadn't noticed (I'm guessing it was really warm in the building). Horrified, I flung the two sides of the shirt together and retreated to the back of the hall and buttoned it back up. I remember sitting at a table with my head down in my hands and an older girl from my school telling me, "It's okay, not that many people saw."

Thus ended my career as a topless dancer.

2 comments:

  1. why didn't I know about this?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I don't remember this at all!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...