Sunday, August 8, 2010

30 Day Meme: Day 1

A long-time online friend of mine, Traci, just started this meme and I thought it would be a good way to start my new blog. Every day has a new bio-type theme to write about. I love stuff like this.

Here we go!

Day 01 - Introduce yourself, in great detail

My name is Jaime, age 24 years old. Born and raised in Sarnia (well, Point Edward), Ontario. As a child, I spent much of my time at Canatara Park or under the Blue Water Bridge. I loved to play outside and would wander around the park by myself starting around age 5 or 6.

In my teen years, I caught the theatre bug and spent hundreds and hundreds of hours at the Imperial Theatre in downtown Sarnia. Not one to step into the limelight, my preference was for anything and everything that went on behind the scenes. I mainly focused on light and sound operation, but occasionally stage managed. Right before I moved to London (ON) in 2005, I acted as "Laurie" in Brighton Beach Memoirs. My worst fear was forgetting my lines on stage, something I still have nightmares about to this day. However, I learned my lines quickly and never once forgot a line during the 6-night run.

Moving to London in June 2005 was the start of my adult life, like many other young Ontarians who live close enough to London to be sucked in like ants to a vacuum. I was with Jeff at the time and it was my first time living with somebody other than my family. I ended up working at a call centre the majority of the time we lived there. Admittedly, life was pretty miserable. I hated my job and the stress from hating something so much brought everything down with it, as misery tends to do. Jeff and I decided in the spring of 2006 that we should move elsewhere and try something else, since the typical Southern Ontario life wasn't working for us. The first job Jeff ended up getting was in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. Initially I wasn't sold on the idea, I remember saying something along the lines of, "Why would I want to live in a place where mere surviving is a feat of its own?" Eventually, Nunavut won me over, especially once I stepped foot onto the tundra and breathed in the freshest air you could imagine. September to December of 2006 was spent enjoying our new home. For the first time in awhile, I felt peaceful and happy. I loved my home and things were good.

Early in 2007, things went downhill. Very downhill. I choose not to discuss the specifics, I only want to point it out to give context to the rest of the year. I thought things were getting better by the summer, but I was met with even worse trauma, repeatedly. Month after month was met with another challenge I fought to overcome. 2007 was a year no human, no matter how evil, should ever have to experience. Excluding the fact I started working for the RCMP which was one of the best things to ever happen to me, the year was pretty much a horrific write-off. Inevitably, things proceeded to get worse and worse until I was faced with a choice. Fix my current life, which felt too steep a climb to bother, or break away and start new. I went with the latter.

In April of 2008, I moved to Iqaluit by myself and continued working with the RCMP. Had they not offered me a job in Iqaluit, I'm not sure what I would have done. My entire life turned around during the course of that year. Finally I was by myself, living life in a way that was 100% my own. Loneliness and independence (ying and yang of the single person's life) had a profound effect on me. I have thought about it numerous times and I cannot think of one personality trait of mine that went unchanged due to being on my own.

2009 blended into the previous year and was a somewhat more stable year for me. I began a new job in Iqaluit with the RCMP and finally moved into my own apartment (long story). In July, I took my sister to Edmonton and Jasper as a graduation gift. We had a lot of fun. My sister and I share a love of water slides, shopping, and chicken fingers...needless to say, we had a good time.

Shortly after my return from Alberta, a guy named Anthony started following me on Twitter, asking inane and common questions about Nunavut. I answered dutifully but was also somewhat weirded out by how interested he was in Nunavut. One thing led to another and in December we started emailing each other, which led to chatting online. I was about to go home to Sarnia for Christmas and since Anthony lives within 2 hours of Sarnia, we decided to go out for supper to meet. Thus began an amazing relationship with the most awesome person I've ever met. I'm finally in a place where I feel like I'm the person I was destined to become. It's an incredible feeling and it's certainly easier to fall asleep at night thinking, "Wow, I'm so lucky. I have the best life!" versus all the bad things people worry about before passing out for the night.

Long story short, I was not about to let distance get the better of what was happening between me and Anthony. After talking about it for hours, we decided I would move back to Sarnia. I have written previously about the plan from here but won't talk about it until some more time has passed (which I'll explain in the future).

So this brings me to now. I'm back in Sarnia, living with my dad, and trying to wrap my head around life in the south. The first few days back were extremely difficult, I won't lie. I could feel tension as thick as the humidity around me the first week being back. I have relaxed considerably and am now battling a constant craving for fast food, haha.

Well, I wrote about my life in the most concise way I know how. I didn't really talk about my tastes or my beliefs but most of that stuff will come later in the meme.

I am only somewhat planning to do the rest on consecutive days starting now, but don't hold it against me if I skip a day or 2.


Day 02 – Your first love, in great detail
Day 03 – Your parents, in great detail
Day 04 – What you ate today, in great detail
Day 05 – Your definition of love, in great detail
Day 06 – Your day, in great detail
Day 07 – Your best friend, in great detail
Day 08 – A moment, in great detail
Day 09 – Your beliefs, in great detail
Day 10 – What you wore today, in great detail
Day 11 – Your siblings, in great detail
Day 12 – What’s in your bag, in great detail
Day 13 – This week, in great detail
Day 14 – What you wore today, in great detail
Day 15 – Your dreams, in great detail
Day 16 – Your first kiss, in great detail
Day 17 – Your favorite memory, in great detail
Day 18 – Your favorite birthday, in great detail
Day 19 – Something you regret, in great detail
Day 20 – This month, in great detail
Day 21 – Another moment, in great detail
Day 22 – Something that upsets you, in great detail
Day 23 – Something that makes you feel better, in great detail
Day 24 – Something that makes you cry, in great detail
Day 25 – A first, in great detail
Day 26 – Your fears, in great detail
Day 27 – Your favorite place, in great detail
Day 28 – Something that you miss, in great detail
Day 29 – Your aspirations, in great detail
Day 30 – One last moment, in great detail

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your journey. I have half-followed your Nunavut blog since a potential job opportunity with GN in Iqaluit landed in my lap a short while ago - and I went mad scrambling to find out all the information I could about the area prior to applying. I decided to apply and have been keeping my fingers crossed ever since. Either way, your blog has been fascinating and extremely helpful in making my decision, so I thought I'd finally post to let you know that. I also met my husband from across the miles (NYC) and it only took us 12 years to get married. It's been a long journey, and he's still not officially Canadian, but he feels it at heart. I wish you all the best of luck as you've returned back to the horrible heat and humidity of Southern Ontario. By the way, you picked the absolute WORST time to return...last summer was so much more reasonable. :) Take care...Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...