Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wilton Decorating Basics, Class 1

Well, today was the big day. First day of Wilton course 1, class 1!

Funny story before I begin, but apparently I have a little obsession with Wilton because as soon as I start typing "www" into my browser, Chrome is all like, OOH OOH! You're going to www.wilton.com again aren't you?! Here's the URL, all ready to go for you! You weren't going to some other website, were you? ...Thaaaat's right. I KNEW you were going to Wilton's website again!

I've been so excited for this class, today I felt like a kid starting the first day of school. I had my Wilton Decorator Preferred Decorating kit and my other necessities for the class all ready to go. I arrived early and laid out my kit, a notepad, pen, my icing, and some sugar cookies I made last night to decorate on. Some other girls came into the class, saw my keener set up and were like, "Whoa." I proudly told them about how I got my kit for $54 whereas no more than 15 feet from our classroom, Michaels was selling it for $129.99.

As the rest of the students came in, I was clearly going to be the keener of the class. I was the only one with a kit and I think probably the only one looking like a child on a sugar high. Hurry up get in here I want to start the class come on! Let's go let's go let's go! Fortunately, two people arrived later on with even bigger Wilton kits so alas, I didn't look so crazy.

Official lesson plan:

How to Bake a Great Cake
Buttercream Icing
Using Decorating Bags and Couplers
Icing the Cake
Leveling and Torting the Cake
Using the Star Tip


It was more or less just how to bake a cake, make the Wilton buttercream icing recipe, how to ice a cake, how to use a coupler and decorating bag, and 500 Wilton accessories you should buy because we say so. Wilton's stuff is a little pricey (more so in Canada and even worse at Michaels) but I will say they have some very innovative products. For example, the lid of my kit fits underneath the kit. The icing bag holder has little holes to hold flower nails. Clever little things where it's obvious they have put time into developing the products.

Our instructor gave us some great tips on how to improve boxed cake mix, how to fill a decorating bag without the icing ever actually touching the bag (seriously, watch the video, it's genius), and some other random tidbits. She did warn us she was teaching some things that weren't Wilton-approved but they were all the best tips!

I will say that after today, my Amazon wish list is going to get even longer. There are so many things I want to buy now, like the Tilt n Turn Ultra Cake Turntable and a bunch of other things.

We don't actually decorate a cake until next week, we just tried on our cookies tonight. Here are mine. I took the photo in my car because I was too embarrassed to photograph my lame cookies in front of everyone else, haha. They're not perfect as you'll see but as we all know, practice makes perfect.

Actual size.

If you're reading this and you want more specific information about what's covered in the class(es), please comment and let me know. This week was just a grab bag of basic information ("this is a decorating bag, this is a spatula") so I didn't want to write it all out.

And in case you want more information about Wilton classes or to find out where in your area they're held, check out Wilton's website. And no, I'm not getting paid to promo the hell out of Wilton, despite how my enthusiasm comes across.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...