Friday, September 7, 2012

New Direction

As I mentioned in my last post, I have a new plan for my blog and my main motivation is the hobby classes I'm taking this fall.

Starting next week, I'm enrolled in the following classes:

1. Learn to Knit. This is a one-day class offered by Michael's. I've semi-learned to knit in the past but it never stuck. I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure how much time I'll end up devoting to knitting since I have so many other things going on, but I'd at least like to try and make a scarf.

2. Wilton Method of Cake Decorating, class 1. This is a 4-week (4 classes) class, also offered by Michael's. I'm most looking forward to this as I love making cakes. I've been looking at pictures and videos of the cakes students complete in this class and I've been blown away. No way I ever thought I'd ever be able to make those fancy icing roses. I'm so very excited for this class. Prepare for lots of entries about it!

3. Beginner Quilting. This is a 5-week (5 classes) class offered by a local store called The Quilt Shoppe. I've been wanting to learn to quilt for a few years now and my eagerness (read: jealousy) was kicked into high gear when I saw a quilt my coworker's wife had sewn.

4. Beginner Sewing. This is an 8-week (8 classes) class being put on by Fabricland. This will overlap with the quilting a little bit (mostly the classes learning about the sewing machine) so I'm sure that will be helpful.

Since I'm taking all these classes, I knew I'd want to write about them and take photos of what I'm working on. I'd also like to remember what I've learned and since I'm doing so much this fall, writing will hopefully help me absorb what I'm learning.

Throw curling (and maybe hockey but I'm not hopeful) into all of this and you have my fall/winter so far! Assuming all goes well, I want to sign up for succeeding classes for Wilton and sewing. Just call me Martha Stewart, apparently!

My big goal for all of this is to become a little more domesticated. I'd like to be able to have the skills to make nice things on my own. I want to be the go-to person for kick-ass cakes; I want to be able to mend my own clothes if need be; and I want to be able to create beautiful quilts that I can give as gifts. 

A friend of mine joked that my fall sounds makes me sound like a typical Canadian grandma. That's okay by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...