Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wilton Decorating Basics, Class 2

Well, tonight was the big night. Time to decorate our first cake!

We started out class by taking the time to level our cake, add the filling, and frost our cakes. This was time consuming, mostly because my chocolate icing was a little too stiff, but I was ready to go with my cake leveler (such a godsend) and my cherry pie filling. I really wanted to take photos as I was performing the various steps but I have weird hang-ups about taking photos in front of people. I don't know why, I just do. So there are no photos of that.

After we had all frosted our cakes, the instructor went over how to do the wavy line border (kind of pointless, especially with the #2 star tip) and the zigzag. We also covered "dots and blobs" (like this) which our class thought was funny.

After we practiced these techniques, we were given time to decorate our cake. Surprisingly, it seemed I was the only one who came prepared with an idea. I had my gel colours ready to go with my pattern cut out. It seemed everybody else sort of hummed-and-hawed over what to do. Not me! I've known for a week what I've wanted to do!

So, the moment you've all been waiting for...

 Autumn themed cake, just in time for the first day of autumn.


 I used a #3 circle tip for the veins and a #18 star tip to fill in the leaves. 

I had a little trouble with the rope border as you can see in this photo. I'd never done it before and we haven't learned it in class yet. I tried it out on a plate and decided, heck, I'm not learning anything by not making an attempt. They say to pipe in a sideways S shape but that seemed to cause me problems. When I didn't think about it too hard, it worked out okay.

Before this class, I always wondered how people were so good at essentially drawing on their cake. This class has opened my eyes. What I did for my leaves was I googled "autumn coloring book" to find basic leaf shapes. I printed off a few I liked, decided on one, then traced it onto parchment paper. Then I took clear piping gel (I bought the little pre-made tube in translucent yellow for this cake) and traced over the pen on the parchment paper. Then I flipped it gel side down, GENTLY laid it on the cake, and used a decorator brush to GENTLY transfer the gel onto the cake. Note the keyword "gently" as you don't want to smudge and smear the gel. Once I'd done that, I piped the veins. I filled in the leaves with the small star tip and then did a second layer of the veins so they'd pop out.

So there you have it.

Next week I start my quilting class and at cake decorating we're filling and decorating cupcakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...