Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Learning to Knit

Yesterday I went to my first hobby class, learning to knit. The course was from 3-5pm so that meant I got to leave work early, which is always nice.

Over the weekend when I was in Michigan, I picked up what I needed for the course: a ball of yarn, size 9 knitting needles, and a yarn needle. This cost me $8 at Jo Ann Fabrics so I was more than happy about that. Sometimes I feel guilty about buying pretty much everything in the USA but I figure I might as well help the economy of the country I'm planning on moving to in the future.

When I arrived at Michaels, I took a peek around to see what my Jo Ann purchases would have cost me there. I didn't have a lot of time but did see size 9 knitting needles for $12. Yikes! Mine were about $4.50!

As it turned out, I was the only person in the class which was great. I'm glad that Michaels doesn't require a minimum class size. I ended up getting one-on-one help for 2.5 hours (the instructor ran into overtime!). I learned to cast on two different ways, do a garter stitch, cast off, and seam two things together. I like seaming the best, it's easy.

I'm not sure yet how into knitting I'm going to get, but I would really like to knit afghans and mittens. I've already started my first project, a little blanket for my cat. She sleeps on my bed when I'm at work so I'm going to lay this blanket down and hopefully she'll sleep on it instead of getting fur on my nice duvet!

Here are some pictures!

Casting on.

My progress so far. About 5 or 6 rows.

I realized that knitting will be perfect for those long college football Saturdays I endure every weekend in Michigan. Instead of mindlessly browsing Reddit, I can actually make something. I look forward to it!

Tomorrow is my first cake decorating class and I'm so unbelievably excited! I ran into the instructor yesterday at Michaels and apparently it's going to be a full house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...