Thursday, September 9, 2010

30 Day Meme: Day 19

I just had one of those moments where I realized my internal clock was way off. I woke up thinking it was Monday, that I have lots of time to find a gift for my brother's fiancee's bridal shower. Then I realized it's Thursday! Guess I'm hitting the shops this afternoon.

My drive to Windsor was pretty good. It's only an hour from Ann Arbor and traffic was great. I found my friend's place pretty easily and then we attempted to find Applebees for some dinner. Firstly, Google Maps lead me to some intersection that had absolutely nothing there. After Googling it again, it lead us somewhere else. I then proceeded to make about 1500 driving errors including missing turns, nearly sideswiping another vehicle, almost driving onto a closed, ripped up road because I missed seeing where I was supposed to go, nearly knocking over a pylon, and probably a bunch of other mistakes. I was feeling pretty embarrassed but my friend didn't seem to mind so that was a relief. My excuse is that I'm not used to driving with other people in the car, especially when I don't know where I am. I'm sure next time I go to Windsor will be less chaotic. We ended up giving up on Applebees and going to Kelsey's instead. I hadn't eaten at Kelsey's in awhile, it's a treat now. The one in Sarnia closed down, I'm not sure why.

Anyway, good time had by all. I look forward to the next trip to Windsor. For being only 2 hours from Sarnia, I really haven't spent any time there.

Well, onto the meme and then I have some errands to go run!

Day 19 – Something you regret, in great detail

As a rule, I don't generally regret things. I can easily see the lesson learned in every mistake and low point in my life.

However, whenever I think of regret, the first thing that pops into my mind is college. All throughout my life, I always knew I would go to college or university right after high school. I was adamant. I wanted to move to Toronto and go to Ryerson. By the time I got to grade 12, I started to cool off on the idea of Toronto and more schooling. I realized I wasn't sure I really wanted to do theatre for the rest of my life. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do, so I decided to take a year off.

It's now 6 years since I graduated high school and I still haven't made it to college.

In September of 2005 I had just moved to London (well, I moved in June) and was starting a new full-time job. College wasn't on my mind. In 2006 I applied and was accepted to Fanshawe College in London for an IT program. I applied probably in January or February but by the spring, we were considering leaving Ontario. We left for Rankin Inlet in August so I never made it to college. I did end up going to the college in Rankin that fall but it wasn't for anything I was really interested in and the classes were extremely easy. I don't usually count that as going to college because it required almost no effort on my part to get a 95% average.

I was happy in Nunavut and was working a well-paying job with the federal government, so college became this expensive hassle I had somehow managed to skip. However, now that I'm no longer working for the government, college is something I'm probably going to need to seriously consider.

Looking at the other side of this, I cannot imagine what I would be doing right now had I either gone to school right after high school or gone to Fanshawe in 2006. I feel like my life has turned out the way it was supposed to and to think it could have just as easily been totally different bothers me to no end.

So for now, college is something I do want to do in the near future (maybe in 2011 or 2012) but for what, I don't know, and where, no idea.

I guess I've been kind of going about life in a backward manner. It suits me quite well, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...