Monday, December 16, 2013

Preparing for Surgery

Greetings, friends. Did you know the final countdown until Christmas is on? Only 9 days left! It's also only 3 days left until my SARPE surgery.

Trying to prepare for surgery is a big task, as is preparing for Christmas. I get to experience the joy of planning for both at the same time. To say I'm not a little stressed would be a lie.

I'd been more or less procrastinating about buying Christmas presents, but I was able to finish that up this weekend and today. I just need to wrap everything and I'll be ready to go. Unfortunately I won't be able to start and/or finish the sewing projects I had on the go for Christmas gifts. The main thing will have to wait, and the other stuff can wait until next Christmas. And you know what? I don't feel bad about that. I always "should" myself too much and take on too many projects. It's not worth it.

The bigger task has been preparing for the days after surgery. I've spent over $100 buying stuff to prepare myself. Meal replacement shakes, various medications (extra strength Advil, extra strength Tylenol, Gravol, etc), dark towels I can bleed onto, soft foods. It's a lot of work preparing yourself to be incapacitated and unable to chew.


Preparatory shopping spree #1...the egg nog is Anthony's... ew!


Fortunately, my loving boyfriend has agreed to pick me up and drive me back to Ann Arbor so he can take care of me. I think it'll work a lot better than fending for myself in my/my dad's apartment. When I had my toenail surgically removed last year, my dad really wasn't much help. I know I'm going to need some help in the days right after surgery so it'll be best if I can have someone reliable to help me out. Also, my boyfriend has a great satellite TV package. He suspects I'm just using him for his TV...he might be right (just kidding).

I realized I kind of confused everyone with my last post. I had a few people wish me luck for surgery last week, thinking I meant I was getting it last Thursday. Last Thursday I had the elastic spacers put in my teeth to prepare for the RPE appliance. It's a metal bar that will be installed tomorrow. Unfortunately, I had no time to prepare for the fact that my days of chewing hard food were over (for awhile) on Thursday. My teeth hurt so much with just the elastics that I'm unable to chew even soft foods. The pain wasn't too bad on the weekend so I went all out, eating junk I haven't had in months. My final steak for awhile was a bacon-wrapped filet. Good way to go out, I must say.

Last post I said I was 95% excited, 5% nervous. Right now I'm 95% excited, 4% stressed, 1% nervous.

When I post next, it'll probably be from my bed, post-surgery! Hopefully my post will be coherent, and not just a drug-induced haze of curse words.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy that soft food! I will eat a few steaks and think of you! :)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...