Saturday, December 21, 2013

2 Days Post-Surgery

So my SARPE surgery and (2) wisdom teeth extraction was a little over 48 hours ago.

My mom drove me to London on Thursday morning and we got to the hospital right on time. I thought there was going to be a lot of sitting around but no sooner was I assigned a bed and a gown, they told me I'd been called to the OR! I got a little nervous at that point!

I ended up lying in a bed just outside the OR for over an hour. Not sure if it's standard to wait so long after being called to the OR, but it gave me time to catch my bearings considering all of this happened so quickly! Different people came out to talk to me. I think I confirmed my name, birthday, and allergies 100 times before surgery.

Finally they wheeled me in and hooked me up to the anesthesia. Next thing I knew, I was waking up while being wheeled into another hallway. I asked, "Am I done?" and they confirmed I was. For the first few hours, I felt pretty good. But then the drugs wore off.

We had a bit of an ordeal when it came to the narcotic they prescribed me. My mom came back up from the pharmacy and told me my prescription was for Tylenol 3. I've been prescribed T3s a few times and they've never done much for me (neither codeine nor acetaminophen do). My surgeon ended up having to come back in from home to write me something else (Percocet). He and the nurses were a little ticked with me, and were actually arguing with me that I should have known better and told them Tylenol 3 doesn't work for me. This was pretty upsetting being that I was in so much pain. Try crying when you can't move your face, not fun!

So my surgery finished around 2:15pm and I didn't go home until almost 7pm. I probably would have been discharged sooner had I not been in so much pain and had to wait for the surgeon to come back.

Anyway, I've been sleeping pretty well, sitting up. The percocet makes me sleepy which is nice. I did a good job of preparing everything beforehand so I've been comfortable. I'm at Anthony's now which is good because it helps with the boredom. I could probably write a novel about the whole thing but I won't.

Here's the damage!

The day before surgery and the day after.

2-days post SARPE. Everything from my lower eyelids to my upper lip is swollen and numb so I can't make any facial expressions or move my jaw too much. I think sleeping sitting up and icing regularly is really helping the swelling.

So swollen I have a double chin. Something I didn't expect is that my lymph nodes are super sore!

The gap has started!! My front teeth feel very weird today. I don't start turning the key in the RPE until next week (I think) so it's weird I already have a little gap.

I have a little bit of bruising in my cheeks and strangely, around my ears. My ears have a yellowish tint. I'm sure the numbness in my face will last awhile, and it tingles frequently. My face often feels itchy but when I try to scratch, there's no sensation. 

In general the pain is not too bad, my face is mostly just frozen in place which is uncomfortable. The only pain I really have is when I try to swallow and my neck isn't at the right angle. My palate cracks and it's the most unsettling feeling. Also, I've been lying on my ass since Thursday morning and it really hurts. I have to stand up regularly and give my butt a rest!

I didn't really have any expectations for what recovery from SARPE would be like. I think I'm in less pain than imagined, on weaker drugs, and more lucid than I figured. I am so excited to be able to eat real food again, whenever that will be. Steak seems like a distant dream.

Oh...this popped up on my Twitter feed today and I feel like it describes my current life perfectly:

Give her this, then this, and then these...


This is what I have to take daily:
2 Percocets every 4 hours
400mg Ibuprofen every few hours (whenever I remember)
Decongestant, twice a day
Penicillin, 3 times a day
Ex-Lax, twice a day (not helping at all, TMI)
Stool softener, twice a day (see above note)
Periogard rinse, twice a day
Sleep aid, once a day, before bed

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...