Thursday, December 26, 2013

7 Days Post-Surgery

Wow, has it really been a week? It's been a blur of sleeping, popping pills, sleeping, drooling, popping more pills, choking on everything I put in my mouth, sleeping, and then popping more pills.

I'm pretty sure I'm insane for undergoing this during Christmas. But alas, Christmas is now behind us and I can take it easier than I have been. It's also (mostly) the end of staring longingly at food I can't eat.

For this entry, I wanted to mention things about recovery pains that I haven't mentioned yet. I'm hoping future SARPE patients will read this, and I'd like to be thorough. It'll probably be boring for everyone else, sorry!

For starters, being in a car is just awful. I don't know if it's the angle I'm sitting at or the vibration from driving, but I can never find a comfortable angle to relax.

Secondly, my sinuses are really the main thing that hurts now. I've never had a sinus infection so maybe this isn't actually sinus pain, but I think it is. Right below my lower eyelids is so sensitive. My lower eyelids are really sensitive, too. Washing my face and removing makeup is a huge chore. I can't rub my eyes too hard because it hurts my face so badly.

Weirdly, the left side of my face is now less numb than the right side. I'm not sure if it has to do with how I sleep or what, but I hope it balances out soon.

Another weird thing is that my eyes have felt dry since surgery. I think it's because my lower eyelids are mostly numb so perhaps when I blink, my eyes aren't closing normally.

Walking and talking are pretty tiring, too. When I walk, my front teeth feel like they absorb my weight with every step. When I talk and I pronounce words that force my lips to close (m, p, f, b sounds), it also hurts my front teeth. Sometimes I try really hard to talk normally and it ends up causing sharp pain in my front teeth.

Also, the dreaded "w" word: weight. I wanted to be really careful I didn't lose too much weight from all this. That has not happened. My appetite is basically gone and you can only drink so many meal shakes in a day. Eating mushy food is still a pain in the butt because I'm still choking on everything and I'm still not used to the RPE appliance in my mouth (honestly, I hate that thing). I've dropped 8lbs since the RPE was installed last Tuesday. I'm probably going to end up losing more. I had to buy new jeans today because everything I own is too big now. That was happening due to my intentional weight loss pre-surgery but now my jeans fresh out of the dryer are too big. I know it's weird I'm complaining about it but it kind of freaks me out. I don't like unhealthy weight loss.

But anyway, now here's the good stuff:


7 days post-surgery



Still a bit swollen, the bruising is really taking its time fading (I am wearing makeup in this photo)



Gap after 4 turns (plus some during surgery?)



The lack of normal eating is starting to get to me, I have to admit. I didn't think it would but man, what I wouldn't give for a greasy slice of pizza right now.

1 comment:

  1. You are starting to look a lot less like a chipmunk!!! :)

    8lbs... Your poor body is just in shock mode right now. Keep shoving in the shakes and whatever else you can get down without making too much of a mess.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...