Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

So these were my resolutions for 2010:

1. Work out 4 times a week.
2. Be more helpful to strangers.
3. Don't bad-mouth anybody.
4. Stop dwelling on things.

I think I actually had added more to that, because I remember having a longer list on my mirror in Iqaluit. I trashed the list when I was moving so I have no idea what the other resolutions were. However, I'm pretty sure one was, "Pay off debt and save for future." Haaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Ahem. Excuse me.

I've totally and utterly failed at #1, mostly because I keep getting hurt. I've been injured so many times this year, it's just ridiculous at this point. #2 has gone pretty well. I forgot that was ever a resolution but I really have tried to be a helpful, courteous, honest person this year. #3 I wouldn't say is either a success or a fail. Certainly since I made this resolution, I've tried to avoid joining in on any gossip or bad-mouthing of people. I can't say I've always abstained but I do try to avoid it. #4 has gone well. I find it weird that I even made it a resolution because it's generally my policy not to dwell on things. 2 weeks ago I had a customer at Coles who said something very rude and offensive to me and after being angry for 5 minutes, I decided just to shrug it off since I can't really take seriously a person who thoughtlessly says such caustic words to a stranger.

I don't know if I made it one of my resolutions on my "official" list of resolutions I had on my mirror, but another of my goals was to give to charities more frequently. I have donated some of my money this year, more than I have in years past. I've said yes when asked to add a dollar to whatever I'm buying, I've dropped money in charity banks, and I sent via PayPal money to Caboodle Ranch (if you're a cat lover, you need to click!).

So, without anymore blither about the past, here are my resolutions for 2011:

1. I am not going to dye my hair. If you've known me for at least a year, you will be shocked. I have not had my hair entirely my natural colour since I was maybe 10 or 11. I have been very brutal on my hair between regular dye jobs and daily straightening with an iron. I don't want to have straw for hair by the time I'm 30 so I'm going to try to be nicer on my hair.

2. I am going to start donating blood as much as I can, if I can. I've never donated before and even giving small vials for testing has made me feel sick but I feel like I've taken so much from the universe without giving back. I have a nagging feeling when I remember that I need to do more for my fellow man. So many people aren't as lucky as I am and I feel a sense of duty to spread more evenly the good luck floating around in the world. I had a friend in high school whose mom one day came home with a pin that either said "25" or "50" (can't remember). I asked her what it was for and she said she'd just donated blood that many times and they gave her a pin. I was totally in awe of her and that memory always stuck. I've wanted to donate blood for a long time, I just never have. I made the big decision earlier this year that I will donate my organs when I die. I never wanted to in the past but I feel good about this choice. I don't want to be cremated when the times comes, so there's no sense in (probably) perfectly decent organs rotting in the ground when people around the world are literally dying for organs.


Also, I'm going to try and keep up with 2010's resolutions although having totally forgotten about them and still doing well with them, I think it's safe to say they're part of my everyday goals now anyway.

I may come up with more resolutions in the next week or two, it takes me awhile to think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...