Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Back in the Work Force

After having not worked for 4 months, being back to work now is...exhausting. I worked my first 8 hour shift today and my brain is mush right now.

I accepted a seasonal part-time job at Coles Bookstore. I thought working at a bookstore would be easy but there are actually a few challenging things about working there.

#1: There are thousands of books and only one of me. I don't read as much as I wish I did and so 99% of the time someone asks me about a book, I don't know it. The permanent staff there seem to know off the top of their head every book in the store. It's a little intimidating when I'm practically still unsure of where the entrance is.

#2. Putting away books. Everything has to be put in the exact right spot or else it's going to cause someone else problems in the future. At my old job it was easy. Every file was numbered and organized in numerical order. Bookstore shelves are not so simple.

On the upside, the customers I've dealt with so far have been pretty nice. I'm also pretty comfortable with the till already.

The best part about the job is knowing that when I'm there, I'm making money. After 4 months of being paranoid about EVERY dollar I spent, it's nice to grab some dinner and not mentally slap myself on the wrist for spending money. Not to say I've gone nuts spending money since I started working, but I did buy some Christmas gifts and a few things I'd been putting off buying myself. Rest assured, this will be a modest Christmas as far as gifts from me go, but at least there will be gifts at all.

In the meantime, now that my intense phase of stress is over, I feel the need to contribute something to my community this year. I would like to contribute my time to help needy people but I don't think I will have any spare time. I just want to do something. I've been really lucky in that I escaped financial turmoil at the exact right time but I know many others are not so lucky. There are lots of people worrying about how to feed themselves or where they're going to sleep tonight. Those are the people I want to help. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could have one of your Christmas gifts be a case of canned goods for your local food pantry or soup kitchen. Congrats on the job.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...