Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pros and Cons

It's been almost 5 months since I moved back to Ontario. The time is flying so fast, I can't even believe it. Next week I'll be experiencing my third season here! I think about Iqaluit and miss it everyday. As I was preparing to move south, I had several people say to me, "You'll be back, you're a lifer." While it's true I loved living there and was a "lifer" compared to most non-Inuit, I don't think I'd ever move back. It was just time to go, time to move onto a new phase of life. I think had I stayed a few more years, I literally would never have left. I didn't want to be stagnant before I'd even hit 30. As stressful as things have been since I left, they're necessary stresses.

Anyway, now that I feel fully acclimatized to life here, this is what I do and don't like about it.

DISLIKE:

  • Traffic
  • Traffic lights
  • Not knowing where anything is in the grocery stores. I stick to 1 or 2 stores because I hate that lost feeling when I go in other stores.
  • The scenery here is boring, I miss the tundra.
  • I no longer feel like I'm doing anything special or unique with my life.
  • I don't really have any friends here and I only ever socialize with my family.
  • I miss wing night Wednesdays in Iqaluit with my friends.
  • It takes so long to drive anywhere in town.
  • Despite growing up in Sarnia, I often have to consult Google and/or Street View to find new places.
  • Constantly being asked about what life was like up north. How can you summarize 4 intense years with 1 sentence? Sometimes I want to reply to this question with, "Sjfhgslkfghisurghfbckvjkdjfhgk!" and tell them it's a combination of every adjective in the dictionary.
  • Constantly being criticized any time I complain I'm cold. YES I'M COLD, GET OVER IT.
  • The lack of northern lights in the sky.
  • People are less friendly and helpful. In Iqaluit I had trouble opening my sealift and my neighbours (who were also coworkers) came to my rescue. Twenty bucks says if I was struggling with let's say, my car in the parking lot outside my apartment building, nobody would even notice.
  • The air quality here is noticeably poorer than up north. I've since developed a daily cough that I never had before.

    LIKE:

  • Self-checkout lanes. Yes yes yes! The less I have to talk to somebody, the better.
  • Getting fresh food in the grocery store. Even now I still kind of have that mindset of "Oh I better eat this within the next 48 hours or it's going to go bad." I'm literally shocked when my fruit is still ripe 3 days later.
  • I get to see my family all the time. I live with my dad but when I want to see my mom, I just drop over for a visit. And because she's family, I can just get up and leave whenever I want. It's great.
  • If I'm lying awake and hungry in bed at 3am, I can leave and go get food. That's still a luxury.
  • Food takeout websites, where you order the food on the website and it arrives at your house. In Ann Arbor, Anthony and I frequently have food delivered to the house that we ordered from Campus Foods (thank you, University of Michigan, for existing in Ann Arbor). Last week I ordered Pizza Hut here and went and picked it up. I just think it's so convenient.
  • I get to partake in all my old traditions and I have been. The Brigden Fair, the Big Sisters' craft sale, Christmas on the Farm...all the things I missed while living up north.
  • Being able to have an iPhone. Enough said!
  • The Internet is NOT deplorable and actually works well all of the time.
  • The YMCA here is great. My knee is finally feeling better so I plan to start going again very soon.
  • Although I made very good friends in Nunavut, all of my childhood friends are in Ontario. I've been able to visit them since I came back, and can do so now without 5 months' notice anymore.
  • Paved roads. Hallelujah.
  • I don't ever have to deal with Northwest Hell (AKA NorthwesTel) ever again!!!!!
  • The weather is great. Today I stepped outside into -5C. I told my dad, "It's warm outside!" My dad disagreed but to me, this is sweater weather. I can definitely handle this for the rest of my life. We just got snow this past weekend too (you might have seen Sarnia on the news, we had a bad storm). No snow until the middle of December? And it melts in March? Who died and made Mother Nature a saint?
  • 1 comment:

    1. Hi Jaime,
      I hope you don't mind me posting a comment on your blog- I have just discovered your Nunavut Newbie blog and have been reading it avidly, as you seem to have done what I'm about to do! My husband and I are moving to Rankin Inlet in September (I'm a midwife, have been offered a job at the birth centre). I am feeling both anxious and excited, and reading your blog has been a godsend for me! I would love to pick your brain a bit about Rankin, but I know you are a busy woman! If you get the chance, I'd love to chat with you, my email address is zenmasterjulia@hotmail.com No worries if not though, just know that your blog is a wonderful thing! x Julia

      ReplyDelete

    PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...