Sunday, December 26, 2010

Deery Christmas

Merry Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Festivus, or whatever you're celebrating.

It's been nice to spend the entire holiday season here in Ontario with friends and family, but you may have noticed a theme in my life since I moved back. I keep injuring myself.

My knee finally started feeling better at the beginning of the month, just in time for me to start working again. All was well. I felt good, I apparently lost weight during my sloth months, and I was working. Of course I had to get hurt again, right?

Being on my feet all day has been a bit hard on my back, but nothing to write home about. Until yesterday (which was my only scheduled day off in 8 days). I was at Anthony's Christmas morning and wanted to take a shower. As I reached to turn on the faucet, I did something to my back. It's all been downhill since then. Vicodin, Tylenol 3, heating pads, Epsom salts, Advil...nothing is helping. However, I am not complaining about the 2 Tylenol 3s currently in my system. Mmm...

I had to call in broken to work today which really sucked. I do not like calling into work, especially when I would have been making stat pay. I really wanted to go but I knew I wouldn't be able to handle even 15 minutes of work. The only positive was that my brother and sister-in-law came to Sarnia for brunch so at least I got to see them and my cousins. I was pretty miserable all day, though.

As if this wasn't bad enough, I had to make the painful drive back from Michigan yesterday to go to my mom's Christmas dinner. I had shooting pain down my right glute the entire drive and it was quite painful. After a pleasant afternoon with Anthony's family in South Lyon, I drove back around dinnertime. The hazard of deer isn't something usually on the forefront of my mind when driving, simply because most of my driving life was in Nunavut.

I was on some country road just outside of South Lyon when all of a sudden I spotted 3 small deer on the side of the road. I gasped, then slammed both feet on the brakes. I was RIGHT in front of the deer and while my car was struggling to slow down, the deer ran out in front of me. Imagine, 3 deer hitting my bumper, going through my windshield. I'd be killed instantly. Instead, nothing short of a Christmas miracle saved me and the deer were able to pass the car, mere inches away from the bumper as my car slowed to a halt. Had I hit the brakes even a second later, I'm sure I'd be dead right now. It was that crazy. With my jaw agape, I started to drive away but I was so shaken up, I had to pull over. I was shaking like a leaf and crying (hey, I am a girl). It took me about 5 minutes to pull myself together and keep driving. I couldn't believe how close I'd just come to death or near death.

I've been feeling thankful these past few weeks for the good things that have happened lately but this only solidifies it. One of my new year's resolutions is going to be to start donating blood on a regular basis. I don't know how else to thank karma for saving my life.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy! Glad you didn't hit them.

    Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...