Friday, December 10, 2010

Commit This to Memory

I have an extraordinary ability to remember things, especially names of people. Granted, I have a hard time remembering someone's name 5 minutes after I meet them, but as soon as its learned, it sticks.

When I was in grades 9 and 10, I knew the names of every person I went to school with (all 900 of them). Call it a cross between obsessively reading my yearbooks, OCD, and a steel trap memory, but I could name off every person I passed in the hallway. Of course, when I got to grade 12 and everyone was younger than me, I mostly stopped paying attention.

Since I started my job in the mall, I've seen a few people I went to school with. I filled an order for a girl I had grade 12/OAC law with and I mentioned I remembered her. Of course, she had no idea who I was. It got me wondering...how many people could I point out as schoolmates who would have no idea who I am? Probably tons.

Along with my ability to remember names, I remember phone numbers and dates easily, too. I can name off the phone numbers of old friends I don't talk to anymore. I can tell you the date of the first time I ever held hands with a boy, the dates of all of the vacations I took while living in Nunavut, and what number my high school bus was.

In many ways other than just memory, I feel like I have an abnormal brain compared to most people. I did that autism quotient test that was going around and the results were exactly as predicted: (apparently) I'm half-way between normal and having mild autism. Makes total sense to me, especially looking back upon my entire life. I guess there's not much to say about that other than I'm kinda different but also pretty normal. Who knows.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally the same way. See also: area codes

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has the same thing for telephone numbers. So handy!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...