Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Co-Habitation Station

Well, I've been back in Ontario for almost 3 months now. I'm still struggling to feel like this is my home despite the fact this is my hometown and every square mile of Sarnia holds at least a few memories for me.

It hasn't sunk in yet that I'm not going back to Iqaluit. I knew before I moved that I would probably feel like I'm on an extended vacation for awhile. So far, that's exactly what it feels like. I'm hoping I'll be working again soon and I'll be able to just wile away the days until feeling like I belong here again.

One of the biggest changes I've had to face is living with somebody again. I spent from April 2008 to July 2010 living alone (save for one month in January 2009). I really, really liked living by myself, to put it gently. For awhile I half-toyed with the idea of never living with someone again, even if I was in a committed relationship. I just liked it that much. I liked sleeping whenever I wanted without anyone around to make me feel guilty, I liked the satisfaction of looking at things in the house and knowing they were all mine, I liked never being awoken by anything except the cats or maybe a snowmobile outside.

So now I'm at a point in my life where it is unlikely I'll ever live alone again and that's kind of frightening. These days, I'm regularly woken up by my dad shout-talking on the phone (argh), or when he does dishes. I also deal with buying something for myself and it "mysteriously" disappearing. These are obviously some minor parts about living with someone, just so you get the jist.

In general things have been fine. My dad doesn't really try to father me or nag me (usually) and I stay out of his business. We're basically 2 non-working, non-sleep-schedule-abiding, non-real-meal-eating slobs hanging around an apartment. And we're not really slobs, we keep the place pretty clean. My dad is probably the only roommate I've had that hasn't annoyed me on a daily basis. I've been able to teach him some things, too. Like how WiFi works (my grandpa still doesn't understand how I'm getting "free" internet in my room) and that Zehrs grocery store has become Real Canadian Super Store.

Well, I'm off to go find a new geocache that just got published near the apartment. I have signed up for updates so I get a text message every time one is published on the website (meaning it's ready to be found). Being the "first to find" is revered among geocachers, though it doesn't really mean anything. So last night (this morning) at 1am, I get a text saying there is a brand new one about 3 blocks from the apartment. I immediately run out of the apartment, grab my dad's bike, and try to find it. I didn't have any luck so I posted as such on the geocaching website. I had some other geocaching errands to do so I continued biking around Point Edward. Around 1:30am, I pulled my iPhone out of my pocket and I had an email from the owner of the new cache. I stopped to email him back and that's when I looked around me. It was 1:30 in the morning, I'm on a bike, in the middle of the road, writing an email to someone I've never met. The world has definitely changed in the last 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...