Monday, October 4, 2010

30 Day Meme: Day 28

I'm almost done this meme, woo hoo!

Day 28 – Something that you miss, in great detail

Well, I miss numerous things, foods, places, and people. I miss those Betty Crocker Mississippi Mud brownie things you could buy (to make it). I miss when Wal-Mart used to be in our mall and not across the street, I miss the days when all I had to worry about was doing my homework. I miss the friends I never see anymore, and I miss snow days from when I was in high school.

However, the thing I miss the most right now is home, Nunavut. Even though I grew up here in Sarnia, Nunavut became my home and I still feel like it is. I think that feeling is going to take awhile to shake off. As I mentioned once in my old blog, you become a northerner and then it becomes you.

While I lived in Nunavut, I really disliked having to talk about it down here to people, especially people I'd just met. I hated answering questions and telling the same story about how much a 2L of pop in Rankin Inlet costs. Sometimes I even lied when people asked me where I live. I'd mumble something about Sarnia to avoid the whole "Isn't it cold there?" conversation. But it's funny how the table can turn. Now that I live here, I'm basically unemployed and all I do in my free time is visit Anthony, geocache, and sometimes go to the gym. Life has gotten kind of boring. Now when I meet people, I quickly offer up my former place of residence so that I actually have something interesting to talk about. Telling people how I sleep 10-12 hours a day because I'm so bored is much less interesting than hearing my tales of braving Canada's worst weather.

The largest part about Nunavut I miss is my job. I miss many of my coworkers and the close friends I'd made through work. I miss being part of the justice system and even feeling like in my own small way, I was making Canada a better place (I worked for the federal government).

Another thing I miss about Nunavut is that I can freely say to anybody there, "I'm so cold!" and the response is generally, "I know, it's freezing. I miss summer." Here, as soon as I say I'm cold, I quickly get laughed at and asked, "And you were living where?" Yes, I did live in Nunavut but I still get cold. Thanks for asking.

Most of all, I just miss my old routine. I miss the cats I gave away, the carvings that hadn't yet broken, I miss having a place of my own, I miss the responsibilities of having a place of my own, I miss going to check the mail and being so excited when something actually came in, I miss waving hello to people when I was driving, I miss the terrible music outside Arctic Ventures, I missing curling, I miss the Legion (ah, memories), I miss all the kitchen stuff I sold, I miss my Suzuki, I miss the tundra, and I miss feeling like I was doing something special and unique.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still on an interesting path (one that I haven't talked about here yet), but while I'm here I feel like I'm nobody special anymore. I don't regret moving back at all, as it was necessary anyway (which I'll explain in the near future) but had I not met Anthony, I have no idea when I would have left. I was sort of half-assedly looking to leave but I doubt it would have happened this year. I took for granted that I was happy there and had built a life for myself. I'm now back at square one. No job, no apartment, I don't own my own car. That's a tough pillow to swallow some days.

1 comment:

  1. this post made me a little sad! I know once you start getting a little busier things'll look up. You'll get a new routine (I totally understand the routine thing too, I get adjusted to one and I hate having to change it)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...