Sunday, November 3, 2013

Jaime's Braces Intro

Hopefully this post will backdate itself, but if not, sorry for inundating you with posts today!

As you know, I'm your loyal blogger Jaime. I have had ugly teeth most of my life.

My story is a bit different from Andrea's. Embarrassingly enough, I sucked my thumb throughout childhood (uhhh and teenagehood...). When I was 12 or 13, my dentist recommended to my parents that I get braces. I had a consultation done but when the big insurance question came up, the whole idea seemed to die a quick death. I had wanted braces pretty badly then but my parents wouldn't tell me the outcome of the insurance research. A few years later, they finally admitted the insurance wouldn't cover the cost of braces, conversation over.

I've always hated my teeth, since I have severe overbite and a lot of crowding. Some people have said my teeth look okay and that I don't need braces, but I dislike being patronized. I know my teeth are ugly, it's something I'm comfortable admitting.

I've since had another consultation but it was just before I left Iqaluit, and it didn't make sense at the time to get braces from an orthodontist in Ottawa (who visits Iqaluit periodically). I'd have to drive 16 hours round trip every appointment! Since then, I've put it off every year, waiting to feel like it was the right time to drop $6000.

Sometime since I moved back to Ontario, Andrea started saying she wanted braces. Late this summer, she finally said she was going for it. I talked to Anthony a bit about it and realized it was never going to be the right time, and I needed to suck it up and part with the money. Andrea agreed it'd be fun to get them together, since misery loves company, right?!

Here's the damage...






Unlike Andrea, I'm not too concerned what people think, especially since I'm planning on getting ceramic (clear) braces. I'm looking forward to finally being able to smile with my teeth showing, and not having to stress every time a camera comes out. I'm really glad Andrea and I are going to do this together, it makes an un-fun process a little more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...