Saturday, November 9, 2013

Jaime's Consultation #3

I had another consultation on Wednesday, this time with my own dentist, Dr. S #2.

I've been going to my dentist for a little over a year so it was nice to know what to expect as far as office and personality.

This consultation was less exciting than the first two, since I already know my dentist and I have an idea of what advice and costs to expect.

My dentist did a panoramic x-ray on me, then took a quick look at my mouth. I could have called out the notes to the assistant myself. "Class 2 malocclusion, maxillary crowding, mandibular crowding, overjet of 20 milimetres, some gum recession..." Next consultation I should try that and see what they say!

Anyway, my dentist has roughly the same opinion and price as the first two. He did start off his opinion by asking if the other 2 doctors I've seen were "scratching their head" after looking at my mouth. Wow, is my mouth really that bad?! I didn't tell him that Dr. T had been mumbling under his breath during my exam, asking himself whether he could even help me.

Option 1: Orthognathic surgery, then braces. My dentist seemed to think this was something I should really consider, whereas the first 2 were more or less iffy on whether I should bother. No price estimate (an oral surgeon has to do the surgery).

Option 2: Wisdom teeth out, then 2 teeth extractions from the top, 1 or 2 on the bottom, then braces for 18 months. He did offer ceramic braces, though he prefers putting metal on the back teeth (I hadn't considered this yet). $5500 plus "3-4 hundred" for ceramic, plus wisdom teeth extractions. Probably in the same $6200 range.

I was pretty certain I didn't want jaw surgery, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should get it at some point. I've been advised by all 3 dentists that I'll still have a bit of overbite if I don't get surgery. I think the smartest thing would be to go through with the braces and then decide on surgery afterwards (I was told that's an option). Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...