Monday, November 11, 2013

Jaime's Consultation #4 - Dr. T. #2

Consultation #4 - Dr. T #2

This morning Andrea and I went over to Port Huron, MI to get an American opinion.

The clinic was nice and quiet which is always a good thing to me. It's also less than 5 minutes from the Bluewater Bridge so even though appointments there would potentially be a bit of a hassle, it's still pretty close to home. Unfortunately their office is only open Mondays and Thursdays so I couldn't just schedule appointments for Friday after work and then head to Ann Arbor after. Definite con.

The orthodontist and assistants were kind of weird, and Andrea agreed. They wouldn't tell you where they wanted you to go/stand/sit but then say, "What are you doing?" or "Where are you going?"

This consultation was interesting. Dr. T didn't recommend jaw surgery to me, but instead said he wanted to put a palatal widener in my mouth and then do braces. It didn't sound like they wanted to take any of my top teeth out, unlike all the other dentists/orthodontists I've seen. I'm really intrigued by that, as I do have a narrow mouth. Unfortunately, they don't do ceramic braces at all.

Money wise, he wants $5500 for the whole shebang. They have the lowest down payment (but are flexible) and the longest amount of time to pay for everything. I had been hoping the American orthodontist would be cheaper than the Canadian ones, but this is right on par with our prices.

The Dilemma

I'm starting to feel conflicted about what I should do. I guess that's the problem with getting so many opinions. On one hand, metal braces don't need to be on as long as ceramic. But metal is more obvious, and if I get married in the next 2-2.5 years, I'd like to be able to smile with my teeth showing.

Except for the first orthodontist I saw (the first Dr. T), all of them have discouraged getting ceramic braces. They say they stain, they can pull some enamel off, and they are difficult to remove at the end. Those things worry me, and I wonder if stained ligatures and chipped enamel are really worth looking slightly better for 18-24 months. They're also more expensive, albeit not much. My sister is pretty much set on getting ceramic but I'm wondering if we should be listening to the fact that so many dentist/orthodontists hate them. Obviously, they're the experts.

I'm really, really interested in the palate widening idea. I have one more consultation next week, and it's with an orthodontist who does ceramic braces. Perhaps I'll ask him if the palate widening is something I can explore with him, as this orthodontist today is the first one to suggest it.

Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...