Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Unexpectedly Jaime Crappy

Since getting my surgery, there have been a few crappy things I didn't really anticipate.

1. Having nothing to do and all the time in the world. I took 6 weeks off work. Here I am on my 9th day off and I have no idea what to do with myself. I'm normally a restless person. On Saturday mornings, I wake up and get right to work doing errands. I don't like sitting around doing nothing, so that part of my healing has been unexpectedly annoying.

2. Having the time and energy to leave the house but being too embarrassed to talk to strangers. My lips still don't really move when I talk, so the letters M, P, B, F, and V are a struggle. Anthony insists I sound fine and have nothing to be embarrassed about, but it's easier said than done.

3. Being unable to smile or laugh. I can chuckle, but if something gets me right in the funny bone, it's excruciating. I have to avoid anything too funny. I started watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix but had to shut it off since last week because the episode I was on was too hilarious.

4. Being worried all the time that something isn't right with my teeth. This is a common one for people with braces and/or who had jaw surgery. I generally trust my orthodontist and surgeon, especially since both have been working (and working together) for a long time. But I'm no stranger to the idea that there are risks and complications, and it's entirely possible something could go wrong. And when #1 above applies, it gives one a lot of time to think and obsess.

5. Seeing or reading about other people who can smile, eat, or talk better than I can at the same point I am post-op. I watch YouTube videos of other jaw surgery patients and some of them can talk so much clearer than I can right now. Or they're talking about already eating soft food. Or they can close their lips completely. While the rest of us are on liquid diets for 6 weeks and having to repeat everything we say, they're already so much more back to normal. I guess it's good I took a ton of time off work...

6. Waking up every few hours to squirt water into my desert mouth. Since my lips don't close yet, my mouth gets dried out while I sleep. Since I came back to Sarnia, my sleep has been much lighter, causing me to wake up every hour or so (usually only for a few minutes). I squirt some water in my mouth and go back to sleep. In the morning, I'm surprised to see how much water I actually drank overnight! Last night I probably woke up a good 6 or 7 times.


In other news, I got a phone call from my ortho's office today. My ortho and surgeon were conversing and apparently decided I need more hooks and elastics. Thus far, I'd only had 2 elastics which is very uncommon compared to every blogger and fellow jaw surgery patient I'd read or talked to. Most people have several elastics holding their jaw closed, while I've been here all willy-nilly and loving it.

I was in the orthodontist chair for nearly an hour getting poked and prodded in all the tender places. Just having someone rest a finger on my chin is very painful. It's 6 hours later and my face is still unhappy with me. The whole thing put me in a funk tonight.

I am definitely having a "this sucks" day. Hopefully I don't get any surprise phone calls tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...