Saturday, November 3, 2012

Wilton Flowers and Cake Design Classes 2-4

My original plan was to write an entry for each lesson of the Wilton classes but I'm obviously falling behind due to all my other obligations, so I'm going to condense this into one entry.

Lesson 2:

On the agenda:
  • Making Royal Icing
  • Making a Parchment Bag (we do the cling wrap method instead)
  • Flower Nail
  • Rose Base (review from course 1)
  • Apple Blossom, Primrose
  • Rosebud
This was the first time I ever made royal icing and I wasn't sure what type of consistency to make it, and I ended up making it too thick/stiff. Since I had pre-bagged all my icing, I had no way of watering it down. Fortunately the instructor had a plastic juice cup, but then I ended up making the icing too watered down. I was getting so frustrated with it that I wanted to just leave and try again later, but I forced myself to stick it out.

Here's what the flowers are supposed to look like:
Apple blossom, primrose, rosebud

I promptly threw out all my pathetic attempts. No photos. I was frustrated about this class all week afterwards.

Lesson 3:
  • Daffodil
  • Violet
  • Using the Lily Nail, Lily
  • Making Stems
  • Guidelines for Flower Arrangements
  • Wilton Rose
I was looking forward to learning the Wilton rose and I ended up being pretty good at it! I had the instructor check my icing consistency beforehand and this time, I didn't make the mistake of pre-bagging things in case the consistency was off.

Here's what the flowers are supposed to look like:
That lily doesn't look like how we learned, the petals are different.

Here's some of my flowers:


Lesson 4:
  • Floral Cake Design
  • Reverse Shell
  • Basketweave
  • Finishing our cake
The reverse shell is kind of weird. I like it and will probably use it, but I'd want to practice it more first. Our instructor explained it as making question marks and backwards question marks.

As you'll see below, I put basketweave on my cake and it turned out pretty good. That's what everyone who saw my cake commented on. Back in April, I had bought a cake with basketweave on it and was mesmerized at how difficult it looked. Turns out, it's not hard at all. I recommend learning it even for casual cake decorators. It makes your cake look so professional and it covers up crappy icing jobs on the side (hello, my cake!).

So here was my final cake!

Ta da! I took the inspiration from the previous Wilton Method course 2. From what I can tell from looking at blogs when the old classes were still current, everyone who took course 2 made a cake similar to this. I thought it was so pretty and reminiscent of springtime, so it was a nice contrast to the terrible weather outside.

FYI the right side of the cake has wonky-looking basketweave because I had an odd number of vertical weaves. In order to "fix" that at the end, you pipe weaves diagonally into the adjacent empty spaces and then dub it "the back of the cake." :-)

Yes, I'm aware daffodils aren't pink but I made them in class when I only had pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...