Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Wilton Gum Paste & Fondant Classes 1 and 2

Three weeks ago I started the gum paste and fondant course. While fondant is not something I see myself working with very much, I did still want to learn a bit about it. Also, I got the student kit for $14 with a coupon at JoAnn. Considering it retails for $50 in Canada, I was pretty stoked.

Class one agenda:
  • Gum Paste and Fondant 101
  • Bow Loops
  • Mum Base, Rose Base
  • Carnation Base
  • Assembling a Bow


I don't have photos of the bases, but here is how my bow turned out:

I think this is really pretty and I do think I'd use this on a cake. This is bright orange as I was trying to use up the package of fondant I bought for the one fondant class in course 2 (still annoyed as that was kind of a waste of money).

Course 2 agenda:
  • Basic Principles of Floral Cake Design
  • Calla Lily
  • Rosebud and Rose
  • Carnation
  • Calyxes and Leaves
  • Assembling the Calla Lily
My carnation didn't turn out great as I missed the instruction about how to do the top, but I think the rose and the calla lily are really cute, especially the calla lily.



Again with the bright orange, haha. You're supposed to have a small piece of spaghetti stuck into the bottom of the flowers so you can stick them in your cake, but mine had broken off.

Unfortunately I'll be missing the 3rd class as it was moved to Friday to accommodate our instructor's desire to go Black Friday shopping on Thursday night. Fortunately I looked in the book and I'm not interested in learning how to cover a cake base. Seems like an even bigger waste of money to me, though it does look decorative.

Sorry for the lack of detail...I've had no time to sit down and write out more substantial entries. I only have 3 more weeks of sewing and one more cake decorating class until I have more free time. It's a good thing too, I'm starting to getting a little fatigued of all this running around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...