Thursday, February 10, 2011

Deep Thoughts

1. It seems I have found myself with a head cold for the first time since 2008. That's right; I went all of 2009 and 2010 without ever getting sick (excluding hangovers, obviously). For someone who used to get sick 4-5 times a year, 2 years being cold- and influenza-free was awesome. I tend to be a bit of a hand-washing and Purell fiend which I think is a big part of why I didn't get sick for over 2 years. But I knew that eventually, working 7 days a week -- with the public and money no less -- and the go-go-go lifestyle I've had since December, a cold would be waiting for me as soon as I slowed down. Granted, I'm hardly sick. I have a sore throat, a cough, and a bit of an upset stomach. I don't feel like a truck ran me over which was usual fare with colds I got prior to moving up north.

2. I have ordered myself a pair of YogaToes after debating it for the last year or so. I was born with hammertoe on my 3 outer toes of both feet and thus hate going barefoot. Don't do a Google Images search of hammertoe because as I just discovered, there are people with feet that look way worse than mine. I'm really hoping they help straighten out my toes but only time will tell.

3. If you've been reading my babbles for awhile now, you know that when it comes to me and driving, something ridiculous is always happening to me. In November I had 2 flat tires (including a blow out on the freeway). In December I drove through that crazy blizzard and it took me 3 hours to drive 100 miles, and then on Christmas, 3 deer almost greeted me through my windshield.

I thought the thing with 3 deer was bad, until Superbowl Sunday happened. I drove to Ann Arbor after work to surprise Anthony by showing up to his Superbowl party. Unfortunately I had to drive back as soon as the game was done so I could squeeze in 4 hours of shuteye before starting work at 4:45am. All was well and I was cruising along until I hit the Willow Run area (just outside of Ann Arbor). I was in the furthest left lane when without warning, my car started veering left. I realized I was basically skating on a highway of ice, and my car resisted any kind of feeble control I tried to force upon it. My car started sliding into the centre of the freeway, while still spinning left. At one point I was ass-backward, staring at cars quickly approaching me. Still spinning left, my car eventually slid over to the right shoulder, facing the proper direction, and stopped just short of the ditch. Leprechauns aren't that lucky. I don't know how long the whole spin lasted, but it felt like an hour. I am so incredibly lucky that nobody hit me. I was of course, in tears, grateful to be spared from yet another accident on that damned highway.

That's when I decided that screw what everyone else keeps saying, I'm buying a f$&*ing SUV with 4WD if it's the last thing I do.

The highway was icy for the next 5 or 10 miles (it felt like hours) and I witnessed many, many cars in the ditch or spinning out of control. Later, in Grosse Point, the SUV behind me spun out of control, hit the middle barrier, then bounced off and hit the right barrier, getting stuck in the adjacent snowbank, blocking the furthest right lane. If I had been a few seconds behind, it would have taken me with it.

So to everyone who has turned up their nose at my plans to buy an SUV and sneered, "Why do YOU need an SUV?! You don't need 4-wheel-drive!" I implore you...start driving me to Ann Arbor and back each week, mmkay? Good luck!

Oh and by the way, I got home at 1am but was still shaken up. I fell asleep around 1:30am, woke up at 4:20am, and was at my desk for 4:45am, just in time for all the regulars to come in, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and asking how my weekend was. What weekend? I haven't had 2 or more days off in a row since November.

4. On a much, much better note, I've pretty much decided to take myself on a Caribbean vacation sometime in the next few months. However, my plan is that I can't book it until I get down to the weight I was in December 2009. That's only 8-9lbs from where I am now, so it shouldn't be too hard. Once I start my new job and am on a normal schedule, it'll be easy to get back into going to the gym all the time. As long as I don't injure myself yet again, which is almost definite.

1 comment:

  1. I must disagree with the SUV comment... if you have a good handling car with proper traction and proper TIRES, you are in a better boat for driving in winter. We drive a Honda Accord and Pontiac Vibe in the mountains, both with winter tires, and we haven't had ANY issues yet. Winter snow tires probably aren't for you, since you get a lot of ice, but a good ice radial... you'll be set. You're better off to buy a good front wheel drive car (to pull you) and a good $1400 pair of winter tires than to purchase a 4X4 SUV :D But that's just me! You germaphobe! :P

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...