Monday, February 7, 2011

Books and Work

So I can finally spill the beans! I got a job with the federal government here in Sarnia! I've never been a fan of discussing job specifics on here, so all I'll say is it's with the same government "department" I used to work for.

I'm beyond excited; however, it's thrown a wrench in my plans to move stateside. It would be a terrible mistake to pass up this opportunity to further my career and pay off my debts, so we've decided to postpone my visa for the next few years. It's hard to imagine being here for a few more years but I know it's the best thing in the long run.

I'm going to hang onto my bookstore job for the meantime, though I probably will give it up eventually. I've been reading so much lately, it'll be difficult to quit!

I've been really slow lately, because I didn't have much time off last month. Here's what I've read since I last blogged about books.

After I finished Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was:

-An Amish Gathering by Beth Wiseman, Kathleen Fuller, and Barbara Cameron. I had no idea that Amish fiction was even a genre but since I picked up this book, I noticed we have WAY more where that came from. I enjoyed it because they tell simple, feel-good, conventional stories of love and morality.

-Out of My Head (retitled Unknown) by Didier van Cauwelaert. The cover said it was "now a major motion picture." I figured it was an old movie, but it's apparently coming out February 18th. I might just have to see it. The premise is that a man awakes from a coma and comes home to discover there's a man living as him and his wife doesn't recognize him. The whole book, I kept trying to figure out what was going on. I swore I had it right, only to be totally shocked at the end. A good, quick read!

-The Impact of a Single Event by RL Prendergast. A few of the girls at work were raving about it, as were customers. The plot is that a couple with a failing marriage discover a car accident on the side of the road. They find an old journal, which various people have written in, spanning 2 centuries. The story was interesting but I don't get the hype. I was happy when the protagonist unknowingly geocaches at the end! The geocache mentioned in the book is real so that was the most exciting part for me, ha.

As soon as I'm done writing this, I'm going to start reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I have a bad feeling it's going to take me until 2013 to finish. The Fountainhead took me nearly a year!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo Jaime! Good to hear you're still a good standing member of society!:P

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...