Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Year in Review

2013 was a pretty great year!

JANUARY
January was pretty uneventful, although I did start going to the gym again. I also redeemed a free 45-minute "makeover" thing I had for Sephora.

Holy makeup, Batman

I also started another sewing class with my mom. I started working on a dress that I've never finished. I'm probably just going to pay a tailor to finish it for me since I'd likely mess it up.

FEBRUARY
Not a whole lot happened this month either, but my mom and I did get food poisoning the night of the Academy Awards.

MARCH
I started a quilting class with my friends. Yeah, still not done this either. The quilt is a sampler and the finished blocks look like this:


APRIL
This was a fun month because my quilty friends and I went on our quilting guild's trip to the International Quilt Show in Cincinnati. You know you're meant to be friends if you can have 4 people stay in one hotel room (2 double beds, 1 bathroom) and you're still friends after 3 nights of that. We had a great time and are planning to go on the 2014 guild trip to the Quilt Canada show in June. 



Left: Aisles of shops at the quilt show. Right: Highlight of the show for me: two of my favourite things: clear electronics and Bernina!

MAY
Another great month! Anthony's birthday, my birthday, Beer Fest, and a trip to Mexico!


Beer Fest drunk is the best drunk.

Relaxing in Cancun.

Giant Mrs. Fields birthday cookie. I have the best boyfriend in the world.

Right before parasailing!
I also started playing soccer in May. As I wrote about at the time, I was terrified to start playing again due to a bad experience playing as a preteen. Soccer ended up being a blast and I can't wait to play again this summer, hopefully with the same team.
Also, another fun thing that happened this month was that my mom and Anthony's mom finally met for the first time (we'd only been dating 3.5 years)! We went to a really nice buffet and I hope to do it again this upcoming Mother's Day.

JUNE
After playing a few soccer games, I realized I couldn't deny my breathing problems any longer. I'd always known I had a problem, which I assumed to be exercise-induced asthma. I finally went to my doctor and he agreed I have exercise asthma and gave me an inhaler. It made a huge difference and I was able to run faster and longer out on the soccer field. He also referred me to an actual respirologist who agreed with the diagnosis and I now take Singulair, which has helped immensely (and I am not getting paid to say that).

This month I also reunited with two friends from high school. I didn't have many friends in high school and have kept in contact with even fewer, two of them being Kelly and Amanda. The three of us hung out one night in June and it was even more fun than high school, and this time included beer! I've hung out with both of them individually since and it's been awesome, I'm very glad to have them in my life again.

JULY
Relatively quiet month, though I did cross an item off my baking bucket list: rhubarb!! I made a rhubarb pie and a rhubarb cake. Both were yummy!

Photo does not do tastes justice.


AUGUST
This month started out fun when my cousin got married, and I was a bridesmaid for the first time ever!



The lowest point of the year was in August. Anthony and I went to Kincardine for a relaxing weekend but ended up witnessing a car accident that killed both drivers. I'd never witnessed anything like that before and I struggled for a month or two after. It was a huge reality check and I think has made me appreciate life that much more.

We did manage to have a nice time in Kincardine considering, though I don't think we'll be rushing back to Kincardine anytime soon.


Just before getting ourselves two giant ice cream cones in downtown Kincardine.

Toward the end of the month, Anthony and I started a weight loss bet. The bet was only for a month but we've both continued to lose weight. Oh, and nobody won the bet because neither of us made our goal weight by the end of the month. I think we're both still winners, though. Anthony has lost almost 30lbs, and I've lost about 25. Pretty awesome!!


Day before the bet began...

SEPTEMBER
I started playing indoor soccer this month. In the beginning, I would get SO tired. The first time, I came home, drew a bath, and lied in it feeling like I was going to vomit. Last time I went, I barely broke a sweat. I'm so proud of how far I've come.

I also started eating low carb early in the month. Initially I was pretty freaked out by the idea but it's been going well and I really like my new way of eating. I eat so much healthier when I can't rely on bread and other carbs to fill me up. 

OCTOBER
I started playing hockey for the first time ever! I love it, I wish I started when I was younger!

Curling started back up too. This is my 4th year playing and I'm only just starting to feel decent at it.

My awesome hockey jersey

My sister and I made infinity scarves in October.

NOVEMBER
Not much, just getting busy with hockey, curling, and futsal going on 3 nights a week, plus going to the gym. My sister and I started booking our braces consultations and went to all of them this month. I had 5 consultations, and we both picked the same orthodontist.

DECEMBER
I went for my consultation with the oral surgeon and the very next week, had SARPE surgery to widen my upper palate.

Christmas was nice and relaxing.

By the time I went for SARPE surgery, I'd lost 24lbs! You've all seen enough photos my surgery and my weight loss so I won't bother with it.



This year went by so fast! In 2014 I'll be turning 28 and I'm hoping to continue to get in better shape, continue eating healthily, and continue to develop my sewing skills.

1 comment:

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...