Thursday, October 11, 2012

Wilton Decorating Basics Class 4

Wow, my apologies. Time is flying by lately. When I say I'm busy, I really am. I've had very little downtime this month. Last weekend I was in Cleveland for a wedding, then it was Thanksgiving, then I had quilting class, then I decided to take some time and sleep!

This is going to be a quick entry as I have to get going shortly the second Wilton class, Flowers and Cake Design. It starts tonight and I'm excited!

This was the official agenda for the final class of Decorating Basics:


  • Guidelines for Elementary Cake Design
  • Printing, Writing, Rose Base
  • Piping Gel Pattern Transfer
  • Ribbon Rose
  • Guidelines for Decorating Your Cake
We didn't really talk much about cake design or guidelines. We did learn to print, write, and do the ribbon rose.

I really struggled with the ribbon rose and didn't quite get the hang of it until about the 30th one I'd piped.

Most of the class time was designated decorating time but I decided I'd be happier decorating mine at home, away from the noise of the class.

I had made the base icing for cake with real butter. Our instructor always said it was a bad idea because butter melts but being October, I thought it'd be okay. Boy was I wrong. You'll see in the photos below that it got all warped and melty looking. On one spot, it had even bubbled away from the surface of the cake. WTF?

Anyway, overall I'm proud. I wish I had piped a few more roses but by the time I did the last colour (pink), I was getting tired and frustrated.


Stupid blue icing. If it wasn't for that, the cake would be nearly perfect. The cake top looks a little lopsided here for some reason, but it was not in person. Some day soon I will attempt this cake again and keep the icing cold while I pipe all the flowers. The rosettes at the bottom were little terrors because the icing was soft, even though they were straight out of the freezer after being in there for 24+ hours. I'll have to use stiffer consistency next time.


Overall, I'm very pleased with the class. The most useful parts were learning about icing consistency, the ribbon rose, the leaf, the rosette, and the drop flower. Writing on a cake is pretty easy and I'll never do the pompom or shaggy mum again.

Well, I'm off to course 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...