Thursday, July 2, 2015

3 Weeks Post-Op Double Jaw Surgery + Sliding Genioplasty

Time sure does fly when you're not at work!

The past week went by very fast. I'm still keeping up with trying to get out of the house once a day.

On Monday I went back to London to see my surgeon. He said everything looks good, and gave me permission to start using straws and blowing my nose again. Yay! I have been very lucky with sinus stuff after both this surgery and SARPE. Both surgeries cause your sinuses to be filled with blood, causing nosebleeds and sinus pain. After both surgeries, it is normal/expected to get nosebleeds for a week or two. I never had a nosebleed with either surgery, and my congestion went away after about 9 days this time (I didn't have as good of decongestant meds last time).

The only crappy part about the appointment was that he loaded me up with elastics. Now my mouth is clamped shut, which hurts my teeth and causes headaches.

So far, it seems like I've been pretty fortunate with a lot of parts about this surgery. Not a lot of pain, not a lot of swelling, very little bruising, no nosebleeds, congestion is long gone.


Anyhoo, the benchmarks!

Energy: Consistent, pretty much back to normal.

Sleep: Consistently 9 hours a night, mostly sleeping well. Can't remember the last time I napped. Still sleeping upright on my wedge pillow. So glad I bought that thing! MVP of this surgery, without a doubt.

Pain: My teeth have been bugging me now that I have the elastics, along with some palate soreness and headaches. I'm still taking a few Ibuprofen a day but more for the anti-inflammatory benefits rather than pain management.

Swelling: It's gone down quite a bit this past week, yay. My cheeks still feel puffy but I look pretty much normal to the untrained eye.

Numbness: No change from last week.

Muscle movement: It's getting a little easier to smile (see below). I can also hold my lips closed now, which makes a big difference in eating, drinking, showering, talking, etc. If you watch my video, you can see that one side of my mouth moves more than the other side. Prior to surgery, that side was also stronger, so I'm not surprised it's still stronger.

Eating/drinking: Haven't used my syringe in a while. I'm able to eat things with a spoon. Drinking out of cups and cans is no problem. Using a straw is a little tricky. Eating 3-4 times a day.

Weight loss: 11lbs.

Side note: The recipes in Dinner Through a Straw are great. If you don't receive it from your surgeon or orthodontist, it's worth picking up if you're not much of a cook and therefore have no ideas about what foods to blend.

Photos:

 
Resting face this week vs last week.


Trying my hardest to smile...no bueno.


Closed lip smile...yikes.


All that remains of the bruise.


This week vs last week


Swelling is noticeably down this week


Pre-surgery vs post-surgery. Wow, who is that on the left?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...