Monday, December 3, 2012

Wilton Gum Paste & Fondant Class 4

Last Thursday was my last ever cake decorating class! Truth be told, I was kind of dreading it all week as fondant really isn't my thing and the classes were taking away from sewing time. However, once I was there, I was a little sad it was my last class. There are a few other Wilton classes but they don't interest me at this point, and the one class is more gum paste. So for right now, this is the end of the line for me and cake classes.

As I mentioned in my post about classes 1 and 2, I missed class 3 due to the instructor rescheduling it. I believe they learned the mum and the daisy, plus they covered a cake board. The whole covered cake board thing really doesn't appeal to me so it wasn't a big deal I missed it.

In class 4, we learned:
  • Creating Geometric Designs Using Cut-Outs, Overlays, and Inlays
  • Eyelet, Ruffle, and Ball Borders
  • Covering a cake with fondant
I didn't bother with an overlay or inlay or whatever it is. They do make your cake look pretty awesome, though. If you don't know what I mean, here is an example.

The borders, especially eyelet (like on this cake) were really nice, too. I am glad I learned how to use fondant but I really don't see myself using it very often. It doesn't taste like anything, it's a weird texture, and you can't really eat the pieces you mixed gum paste into.

Anyway, here is my final, final, final cake!




I stupidly forgot to mix gum paste into the fondant for the bow so it wasn't as bouncy looking as it could have been.

I had very little plan of how I was going to decorate this cake, I just knew I wanted to get rid of the neon coloured fondant from class 2. I was the only person in class who didn't have decorations pre-made so most of the time, it was my classmates staring at me decorate this, so I tried to work quickly.

All in all, I enjoyed all the Wilton classes but they are a lot of work! There is very little getting out of putting in the time and money. Being busy with other stuff, it was a bit difficult to manage at times. I am excited to put my skills to use in the future and really proud of the cakes I've made.

If anyone has any questions about the classes even if you're reading this in the future (wooo), feel free to ask away, I'd be happy to answer what I can. 

Also, for anyone currently taking the classes, I hope your instructor told you about this somewhat secret Wilton student area! Didn't find out about it until class 2 and it's been a huge help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...