Sunday, July 27, 2014

Overdue Mouth Post

I haven't written about my mouth business lately. No time like the present...

For starters, I went back to my dental surgeon in June. He said that everything was healing up nicely and my upper jaw is the perfect width now. The new bone in my palate is not 100% healed yet which is normal.

My triple jaw surgery is tentatively scheduled for June 11, 2015. This is much earlier than I was expecting, as I was told 2016 in my initial consultation. I am getting upper and lower jaw surgery, plus sliding genioplasty. Sliding genioplasty is the same as chin augmentation surgery, but instead of an implant, they cut your chin off (yikes), slide it forward, and screw it in place with plates. The jaw surgeries work in a similar way.

Now onto the braces!

I am happy to report that flossing is no longer the 10-15 minute task it was in the beginning. I've gotten much quicker at it. 

Eating isn't too bad, although eating socially is stressful. I am constantly wondering what is in my teeth that people aren't telling me. Salad is the worst. I also still need to cut everything with a fork and knife, which can be inconvenient, especially with plastic cutlery.

My bite is currently whacked, although it wasn't something I paid attention to pre-SARPE so I don't know how much worse it is. If I open and my close my mouth, I can see my lower jaw veering off to my right. I am sure elastics will help immensely with this.

Numerous people have told me that braces make me look much younger than my actual age (28). The consensus seems to be that I look anywhere from 18-24. I have noticed a difference in how strangers treat me, and it is occasionally frustrating.

I know many adults are too self-conscious to get braces, but I haven't had a single stranger say anything. Before I had braces, I very rarely noticed adults with them. One of my curling friends had them for a year before I noticed. I'm not joking, I seriously never noticed.

Anyway, I know everyone loves progress photos...


May 21 (day one) vs July 27


May 22 (day two) vs July 27.


pre-SARPE, December 2013; Post-SARPE, May 2014; 7 weeks in braces, July 2014

I had my first adjustment on July 21 and all 3 employees I came into contact with literally said, "Wow, your teeth have moved a lot!" The assistant told me my teeth are moving fast for an adult!

P.S. I know my teeth look dingy in the recent photos...I had copious amounts of coffee today and haven't yet brushed my teeth!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I just had SARPE surgery 1 week ago today. Would love an update post on how youre doing now with the braces!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...