Sunday, March 16, 2014

Low Carb Nut Butter Bread + Keto Cinnamon Spread


If you read my previous entry, you'll know I've been craving cinnamon and sugar lately. When it comes to special diets, cravings are the mother of invention. Until I found this bread and this cinnamon spread recipe, I was buttering saltine crackers and sprinkling cinnamon + Truvia on them, and sticking them under the broiler for a few minutes. Not bad, but this is so much better (and keto friendly).

Low Carb Nut Butter Bread - Adapted from this recipe.
If you take a look at the original recipe, you'll see it's twice the size and uses only almond butter. It apparently makes for good sandwich bread, but I balked at the idea of dropping a $13 jar of almond butter into a recipe I wasn't sure I would like or that would work. If you've made bread before, you know it can be a finicky process. I also wanted my bread to be a bit sweeter, hence the cinnamon and sugar additions.

3 eggs
112g almond butter (or 250g almond butter and no peanut butter, as per the original)
112g peanut butter (or any combination of almond butter and peanut butter that equal 225g)
(optional)1tsp sweetener (I use Truvia)
1tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
1tsp cinnamon
1/4 warm water

Mix everything together in a bowl and bake in a small, greased loaf pan at 325F until the crust is firm. In my oven, it was 34min.

My own tips: I try to use room temperature eggs whenever I'm baking. I also use fresh ingredients for things like baking soda, baking powder, etc. Also, it doesn't matter if you use crunchy or smooth almond/PB butter. I used crunchy almond butter and smooth peanut butter. The almond bits add some texture to the bread.

I've only done this once and I was bracing myself as I took the loaf out of the pan. To my pleasant surprise, it came out perfectly.



Now that you have your nut butter bread, time to toast it and add keto cinnamon spread!

Keto Cinnamon Spread - from this Reddit post.
This is double the recipe in the post...it doesn't make a gigantic batch by any means.


2 tbsp salted butter, soft
2 tbsp coconut oil
Your preferred sweetener, to taste
4 tsp of cinnamon

Mix all ingredients well and store in an air tight container at room temperature.

I don't have a photo of it but honestly, it doesn't look that appetizing anyway. It sure is delicious, though. It's delicious dipped or spread onto celery, crackers and would probably taste great on your favorite low carb pancakes.

Know of a low carb or paleo recipe you want me to try? I'd love to...leave me a comment and as long as it's not something I know I'd hate, I'll give it a shot.

5 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not super duper flavourful, but it's a nice treat if you miss bread (like me).

      Delete
  2. Jaime...can't tell you how much I enjoy the Nut Butter Bread! What a treat!...Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe, bread came out really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you double the recipe for a larger bread pan and still get good results?

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...