Wednesday, July 3, 2013

On the Purging Unhealthy Mental Habits

Something I've been thinking about lately is how many bad mental habits I have. I think this is probably a pretty normal problem, but there's a contrast between what I say compared to what I'm thinking about, and it's getting old. I'd like to be more in sync inside and out.



I'd like to think I'm pretty good at putting my best foot forward, not saying unkind things, not being overly negative or judgmental. I'd also like to think most people find me somewhat likeable at the very least. I know not everybody will like me but I hope for the most part I'm not detestable, which I sometimes feel like I am.

It can be exhausting being positive all the time if that's not what's going through your head. Sometimes I worry about the things I say coming off as too honest, like I need a stronger filter between my thoughts and my words. I don't feel like this is something I should have to worry about. If I thought happy, positive, encouraging, non-judgmental thoughts most of the time, I wouldn't have to worry about unfiltered, probably rude, and unnecessary thoughts getting through to my spoken choice of words.

I've started to notice things about my private thinking habits I don't like, namely judging people I don't know or being too hard on myself.

The good news is, I'm pretty good at catching my unhealthy thoughts and putting things into perspective. Of course you made a mistake sewing; that's why sewers love stitch rippers. Just because that girl doesn't look like you, doesn't mean she's an idiot. Everybody is worth getting to know. Of course [so and so] is pissing you off, they always do. Don't let it ruin your day.

Ideally, I'd like to stop these thoughts before I even think them. I'm hoping that acknowledging negative thoughts and working through them (as opposed to getting annoyed or letting things fester), I'll eventually stop thinking so many wasteful thoughts.

Similar to my efforts to simplify my life (see my previous entry), I think clearing out mental clutter is just as important. I think trying to create a more simplistic physical life (via fewer possessions) is making me rethink all the waste in my head. What excess can I purge from my brain? Bad habits are a good place to start. I don't want to be weighed down anymore by complication and clutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...