Friday, July 5, 2013

On Journaling

Something most people don't know about me is that I have been writing in a journal for most of my life.

March 15th. I wish I brought a TV. Oh God, how I miss TV!


It started in 1998 with a small notebook I covered in stickers that I got in Michigan somewhere. My first entries were about my family's new-used Honda Accord, boys I had crushes on, people I'd met on the Internet. I kept this up and finished the entire notebook, sometime around the time I started high school in September 2000. I was pretty inconsistent between 2001 and 2002, and I no longer have the one book I wrote in.

In 2003, I started writing in this beautiful bound book with that handmade-esque butter-coloured paper with the grains in it. Some of my best writing was in that book, but unfortunately I lost it sometime during the move to Rankin Inlet. I shudder to think whose hands that book has made it into, as it also contained some of my worst writing. I know there was some pretty embarrassing emo post-first-breakup poetry in it.

However, starting in early 2002, I also started writing online. First Diaryland, then finally to LiveJournal in September 2002. I've been writing on LiveJournal since then, and for the most part, exclusively in a LiveJournal.

If I've spent more than 5 minutes ever talking to you, you've been mentioned somewhere in my journal. A small handful of people have access to my current LiveJournal (only one of whom I'm "real life" friends with), however, I doubt my entries are very interesting. Since 2002, I've mostly written about daily stuff, sometimes funny conversations, often rants or raves. These days, I generally write about my weekends or anything semi-interesting or important going on. I'm known to whine, like, a lot in my LiveJournal.

People are often envious that I have so much of my life chronicled in sometimes painful amounts of detail. I have to admit, this is something I'm really proud I've kept up with. Not only is it funny to read, it's also proven useful on a number of occasions. It also allows me to have a better memory. Typing up my life reinforce the memories, and re-reading old entries reinforces the memories even more.

What they say about hindsight being 20/20, it's very true. Sometimes my ignorance about things is so obvious looking back. At one time, I wrote entries about how I couldn't tell if this guy actually liked me. Reading it now, it's obvious he did, but it's also obvious that he was kind of an asshole. Hindsight: it's great.

By far my favourite thing about re-reading my old entries is seeing the progression of my personality and maturity. As you can imagine, the circa 2002 entries contain a lot of, "I HATE MY MOM. I'M MOVING OUT THE EXACT SECOND I TURN 18!!!!"

Later on, there's a few drunken entries. Those are always fun.

In my own self-interest, I've kept a .txt file of some of the funny stuff I've come across amongst my ~4500 entries. I don't know if this is interesting to anybody else, but here's a few of my favourite random quotes from my younger days:

  • march 10 2006: I think there's something wrong with me. I don't drink nearly enough alcohol for someone of my age and tolerance level. 

  • june 24 2005: I shall forever despise French toast and the agony it has caused.

  • july 21 2008: It's just me, my cats, and a bunch of overpriced Urban Outfitters crap.

  • august 3 2005: The manager gave away my last shift (grr) and sent me home early today. I even forgot to take my share of tips. Now all those bitches get my money. Oh well, they can rot in hell with my nickels. Bitches.

  • october 9 2009: Fucking 8 dollar rum and Cokes. I'm drinking myself out of house and home here.
  • 2 comments:

    1. That is a long time!

      I have been blogging for 7 years now I think and I am addicted to it. I have never journaled for any length of time and it shocks me that I have kept up with it for this long. I love looking back on my entries!

      And the entry about the nickels is pretty damn funny!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is definitely addictive. I'm so used to writing about things that I often don't feel any closure until I've written about something. It lets me move on mentally. I can't imagine ever not journaling.

        Delete

    PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...