Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010 Music

I'm still trying to decide how I want to change my blog to give me more privacy but yet not be completely closed down for business, so to speak. A few people suggested I change it so only registered members can read my blog. However, then you'd have to go the trouble of requesting permission from me, and I'd have to go to the trouble of trying to figure out if you're someone who has been stalking me or not. If I've learned anything about the internet, it's that people don't surf the net with an expectation of needing patience. We don't Google something and wait 24 hours for our search results. Who would use it if that's how it worked? Anytime I've stumbled upon a blog requiring a login, I immediately delete it from my bookmarks as I'm generally not interested in going to such measures to read something I don't really care about anyway. It's one thing if you know me personally, but for those of you who probably just scan my entries and move onto the next blog, you probably aren't interested in doing the whole "Can I read your blog?" dance.

So all this to say, I'm still mulling it over.

In the meantime, I wanted to provide you with something I am sure you will no doubt find utterly unfascinating. I don't usually talk about my artistic tastes but I thought it was nice neutral ground. I discovered some great music and movies during 2010 and I wanted to share. I'll just share music in this entry so we're not here all night.

Firstly, this is what I discovered and was listening to in 2010:

1. Freelance Whales. I'd classify them as indie pop-rock but what they really are is AMAZING. Start with "Location" if you're interested. Every time this song comes up on shuffle, I involuntarily sigh with pleasure or say something cheesy like, "Awwww yeeeeahhh!"

2. She & Him. A fairly new discovery (December 2010), I am kicking myself for not having discovered them sooner. More indie pop, sounds like a lighter, happier version of Rilo Kiley (one of my faves).

3. Breathe Electric. I'm a techno/electronica junkie. Breathe Electric is similar to Owl City but harder pop, more dance-y.

4. Public Enemy vs Benny Benassi "Bring the Noise Remix." Arguably my favourite song of the year. Benny Benassi is one of my all-time favourites. Benny Benassi is the only person who could collaborate with an artist horrible enough as Justin Bieber and I would actually pay money for it.

5. Plug In Stereo. Getting into fairly obscure indie pop now, Trevor Dahl is the 17 year old prodigy behind Plug In Stereo. Smooth guitar pop. I'm trying to think of someone to compare him to. Last.FM only recommends other equally obscure indie pop singers.

6. La Roux. You've probably heard "Bulletproof" but the great thing is, her whole album is that catchy.

Honorable mentions: Stephen Jerzak, Romance on a Rocketship, and Nickasaur.

To sum it up, I listened to a lot of obscure indie pop and indie electronica music in 2010. I listened to more common stuff too (Metric, Rilo Kiley, Owl City) but the above list was strictly music I discovered in 2010. Most of my musical taste lies in pop and electronica so if we have similar taste, check out my list. I don't usually like to pawn off musical suggestions on people, but it's always nice to hear new good music.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I have been needed to find some new music.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...