Thursday, March 6, 2014

Getting Fit, Progress Update #4 (6 months!)

Did you miss these?! Because I kinda did. Getting the SARPE surgery really threw a wrench into things for awhile.

I didn't post in January or February because in January, I was right out of surgery and still not eating normally. In February, I had only just started getting back into the low carb thing.

Here are the measurements! I'm throwing January in there just for the record, because I have them. I did not measure myself on February 6/7 (my normal check in date).

MEASUREMENTS

Height: 5'5½" March 6 January 7 December 6 November 7 October 7 September 7Total Lost
Weight 121-125lbs 122-125lbs 130lbs 135lbs 140lbs148lbs25-29 lbs*
Bust 33" 33" 33" 34" 35"36"3"
Waist 26" 27" 27.5" 28" 30"31"5"
Muffin top 33.5" 34.5" 35" 36.5" 38"39"5.5"
Upper thigh 21" 20.5" 21.5" 22" 23"24.5"3.5"
Belly32"32"35"35.5"??3.5"
*I started trying to lose weight on August 26, but I didn't start going low carb until September 6.

Things of note from the measurements:

1. My weight is stuck, I can't seem to break past 121-123 most days. I will talk more about this in a bit.
2. Bust has stayed the same, although I swear it looks like they're actually smaller.
3. Holy shit, have I really lost that much from my muffin top?!!??!?!?!
4. You'll see my thigh measurement went down and then back up. I've been exercising 5-6 times a week lately so I'm sure I'm building some muscle there.

You'll also see I'm being more open about my weight, showing the actual fluctuations instead of just the bottom weight I've hit (none of the previous measurements were lies, I promise).


FOODS I'VE BEEN EATING A LOT OF
Coconut milk! This is my newest addiction. I add it to my smoothies and I make keto chocolate mousse from it
Tea (I'm on a tea kick this winter)
Baby spinach
Pumpkin puree (I made these pancakes and now I'm on a pumpkin kick.)
Cinnamon
Flax meal
Eggs
Cocoa powder
Peanut butter
Avocados
Junk food :(

Sadly, steak is still too painful to eat. Trust me, I have tried. I ended up getting my dad to ground up some steak I couldn't eat, and I made a delicious bunless burger from it.

THOUGHTS

As for the junk food, I'm not sure what's going on with me, but I could probably write a whole other entry about it. I've been in a bad place mentally because I can't seem to make my weight budge (which is stupid, I know). So I decided to cut down my dairy intake, and totally cut out artificial sweeteners (sucralose, aspartame, malitol). In response to trying harder to be "good," I've had intense carb cravings, mostly centered around obsessing over Tim Hortons cinnamon sugar donuts. Resisting made it worse, and I think because I feel like I'm restricting myself so much, I've been compulsively eating other carb-laden junk. I do find that giving into one craving brings new and stronger cravings, and eventually I'm just overwhelmed with how much I want junk food. I feel like it's become this vicious circle. Depressed my weight isn't moving --> eat carbs because I feel a lack of motivation --> depressed my weight isn't moving.

I'm just in a place I really don't like anymore with all of this. It's hard to talk about, because I feel like I'm starting to struggle mentally. I feel like I've become too focused on all of this. Anthony and I are going away this weekend and I'll be glad to have a break from it.

Anyway, today I finally decided I didn't want to resist anymore, and I bought myself a cinnamon sugar donut. I learned from being up north that your cravings taste a lot better in your brain than they do in real life. The donut was good, but I get more satisfaction these days out of real food. A strawberry with freshly whipped cream is 1000x tastier than a donut. After I finished the donut, I almost felt like crying because I finally felt free of the craving, like I'm free to get back to being more disciplined.

I do think I need to change my approach to ensure I'm doing something I can stick with. I'm not about "dieting," I'm about living a generally healthy lifestyle that includes moderation of all things good and bad. Perhaps a regular "cheat day" is in order, maybe once every two weeks or something. I was not doing that previously, but obviously I need to change things up a bit.

I think I do need to be more strict on non-cheat days, as obviously I've lost no weight since after my surgery. I think it's half-muscle gaining and half-carb creep (see #10).  I'm now at a healthy weight and don't want/need to lose much more, so I probably need to get my net carbs down to under 20g a day. It's definitely doable, but requires more focus than what I've been giving.

Okay, now that I've sufficiently bored you with my innermost thoughts...

RECIPES I MADE
I've really ramped up my cooking lately...here's what I've been making!

1. Homemade bacon mayo/aioli. I used bacon grease along with olive oil as per a suggestion from my paleo-eating BFF. It tastes amazing on everything. Can't recommend enough.

2. Chocolate mousse mentioned above.

3. Low carb, gluten-free, paleo-friendly pumpkin spice pancakes

4. KetoDietApp's ketchup. KetoDietApp is a low carb and paleo-friendly app with a blog component. They have free recipes on their blog, and a bunch more if you buy the app or their e-book. After trying to find a keto blog for the past 6 months, this is the first one I've really felt works for me, my likes, my cooking skill level, and seems to use ingredients I normally have on hand.

5. Keto cinnamon spread. This is amazing on crackers and on celery.

6. Low carb, gluten-free Nanaimo bars.


RECIPES I'M PLANNING TO TRY

1. Almond butter bread

2. Keto cinnamon rolls

3. Low carb, gluten free brownie cheesecake

4. Low carb skillet chocolate chip cookie

Basically everything from All Day I Dream About Food.


That's all for this month...maybe next month I will do another round of photos, as well as talk about goals and such.

Oh and by the way, the gap between my teeth closed 2 days ago, all on their own. The last day I turned the RPE key was January 8, so it took less than 2 months for my teeth to move 5mm. I'm hoping my teeth get a little more sturdy so I can start biting into things again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...