Monday, October 7, 2013

Getting Fit, Progress Update #1

Alrighty! It's been a full month of my low carb thing, you know, the thing I've always said I would never do? I'm going to try and do these progress updates in the same format each time. In the future, I'll post some (likely fully clothed) photos of myself. Any progress I've made is hard to see in photos just yet, anyway. After all, it's only been a month.

Sorry this is long, it'll be shorter in future months.

MEASUREMENTS
October 7 September 7Total Lost
Weight140lbs148lbs10 lbs*
Bust35"36"1"
Waist30"31"1"
Muffin top38"39"1"
Upper thigh23"24.5"1.5"

*I started trying to lose weight on August 26, but I didn't start going low carb until September 6.

THE BASICS (this section will only appear this month)
As I mentioned, I'm doing a low carb, high fat and protein diet. I'm eating 1200 calories a day, tracking calories in a great app (and website) called MyFitnessPal. I don't have a specific number of carbs I'm trying to stay within per day. Less than 60g, preferably. I've gone totally gluten and starchy food free. The main things I've cut out are: fast food, candy, bread/bagels, flour, cake, rice, pasta, and potatoes.

I keep active by using the various elliptical machines at the gym, usually for 30-60min 2-3 times a week. I play indoor soccer, just started hockey for the first time ever, and will continue curling at the end of the month. I want to keep playing sports long-term, I'm not just doing the new stuff (soccer and hockey) for the sake of losing weight...in case you were wondering.

FOODS I ATE A LOT OF THIS MONTH
Brie (god bless brie), other cheeses, salmon, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, celery, carrots, nuts (mostly almonds), hard boiled eggs, chocolate soy milk.

THIS MONTH'S VICTORIES
-Pants are fitting better
-Stomach looks flatter
-A few people have noticed I've lost weight

THOUGHTS

  • Gluten: Everyone loves to yap on about how much better they feel going gluten-free. Maybe I'm the first person in the world to say I don't actually feel any "better" being gluten-free. I'm certainly less bloated and gassy (TMI!) but I don't have a new lease on life or anything.
  • I've had only one "cheat treat" that I felt was actually worth it, considering how gross I feel afterwards. Sugar and starches sit like bricks in my stomach.
  • Sweetened things, even artificially sweetened things like Diet Pepsi, taste extremely sweet.
  • Numbers game: One thing I want to curb is how often I check my weight on the scale. Since I check it first thing in the morning, the number I see ends up setting the tone for the whole day. That's not a healthy way to be. Ideally I only want to check my weight once a week. Doing is a lot harder than saying, though.
  • I'm realizing that the main thing about eating carbs is that it's convenient. They're cheap, they're filling, and they generally taste good. I have to eat quite a bit more than I previously did, just to eat enough in a day.
  • I want/need to make different and/or more complicated recipes, e.g. casseroles. I'm sure I'm going to get tired of eating the same basic stuff. Unfortunately I don't really like salad, but I'm confident I can put something together I'll like.

  • RECIPES I LIKED THIS MONTH
    Bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers
    Low carb peanut butter cookies (I added oats for better texture)

    Check back November 6th or 7th for my next progress update!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...