Saturday, September 14, 2013

Changing Perspectives

My brain's been scattered lately, hence the lack of posts. I currently have 4 draft posts in the works since I keep starting entries and not finishing them. Maybe this one will stick.

 The one consistent thing I've been think about lately is how my perspective on things are changing lately.

 On Christmas 2010, I nearly hit 3 deer that ran out in the road in front of me. It was extremely fortunate I didn't hit them, and I have no doubt I was mere inches from certain death. I decided at some point shortly thereafter that I owed the world big time for not dying that day, so I started donating blood regularly (and I still do).

In August, I had a similar experience again. Anthony and I were headed up Lake Huron for our first solo weekend away in over a year. Right before we got to our destination, we were about 5 seconds behind a double fatal collision. Of course, we got out and tried to help, but there wasn't much to be done. The experience reminded me of why it's so critically important to donate blood. I felt like I needed to do more; donating blood isn't enough. I forget how, but I ended up stumbling upon One Match, the bone marrow donor database in Canada. I signed up right away. Of the few people I've told that I've signed up to be a bone marrow donor, everybody has said, "Ouch, donating bone marrow hurts like an [expletive]." My response? The same as my decision to donate blood: "Hurts a lot less than dying needing bone marrow and not having a donor."

Ignoring all the other ways witnessing a gruesome accident seriously messes you up, I've also started changing my perspective on driving. I'm trying to slow down, look around more, be more safe. Of course, I already think I'm a good driver (who doesn't?) but there's room for improvement with everybody.

 ***

I'm also in the process of trying to lose a few pounds again. I lost a bunch of weight back in 2009 but it has slowly crept back up on me, especially now that I live in the southern world of fast food, bakeries, stadiums, bars and restaurants. Spending weekends in the restaurant mecca that is Ann Arbor doesn't help, either. Anthony and I love to go out for meals and despite our active lifestyles, it's catching up on us.

I've always had this dumb half-assumption that because I'm not technically overweight, it would be really difficult for me to lose weight. I'm not sure why, I guess I always felt like being not skinny but not fat meant this is just how my body wants it to be. It was probably an easy way to pass off the blame for my terrible eating habits.

Anthony and I decided to start a little weight loss bet and it's turned up my competitive streak! I always said I would never do a low carb diet because I'm addicted to bread, bagels, and cake. Then I saw some photos of people my height and weight who went low carb and lost a ton of weight. I decided I'd give it a try and so far, it's going much better than I thought it would. I don't think about carb-y food at all, I'm not tempted, and I'm not craving anything. I think it's actually a really good thing for me, because now I can't rely on the same old meals, I have to learn to make some new things.

I'll try to post some of my progress since I know people like reading that sort of thing. No photos yet, I'm not that brave!

Here's what we have to start:

Start of weight loss bet: August 26th

Weight: 150lbs
(Height 5'5.5")
Measurements: ??? (didn't take them)

Start of low carb: September 5th
Weight: 148lbs
Measurements:
B: 36"
W: 31"
H: 39"
Thigh: 24.5"

I'm not going to do another progress check until October 6th, but I am down to 143lbs today (Sept. 14).

Oh, and about the bet...I have to be down to 140lbs by September 30th to beat Anthony. So far, I'm closer to my goal than he is to his, so we'll see. The loser has to take the winner out to whatever dinner they want. I have no idea what I'll pick if I win, because now it has to be low carb!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COMMENTS WITH LINKS TO MEDICAL PRACTICES AND OTHER BUSINESSES WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND MARKED AS SPAM. Advertisements are not tolerated on this blog. Go away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...